Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-27-2006, 06:16 PM

Default My first SLAM!!!

Started out this morning at Metcalf Bottoms and caught a 12" Bow in the first run I fished. *Kept moving upstream hoping for a Brown and finally got one. *It was the first Brown I've caught and my immediate reaction was to get in the car and go up high. *Went up towards the Chimneys and caught a Brookie on the first cast. *It was just that kind of day. *I have no idea how many I caught, but it was alot. *Pretty awesome day! *My biggest Bow was 8.5" until today, caught my first Brown, and completed the Slam. *I still can't believe it... *Kevin

By the way, I caught a fish at Metcalf that I've never seen. *It looked like a small Carp, with a brown back and solid silver sides. *Caught three of them at 6-7" each. *What was it?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: My first SLAM!!!

Congrats on the first slam! I remember very well when I got my first. The brown was the hard one to get for me. I finally caught a small 6 incher and was thrilled!

I know what fish you are talking about, I think they are some kind of sucker. Usually when I start catching them, I move upstream. I normally don't catch many trout if and when these guys are out feeding. I'm not sure if it is an indicator of higher water temp or what but the trout just don't bite very well (for me anyway) at the same time as those suckers.

Out of curiousity, were you fishing nypmhs or dries? Thanks again for the report!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-27-2006, 07:27 PM

#14 yellow body PA w/ a BH green weenie about 14" back. I've been on a crazy roll with the weenie. Last three times out have been around 30 fish each time, most all of them with the weenie. I mostly fish it as a dropper, but I've done well using a strike indicator or trying to push it to the bottom.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Picture of the Bow...

Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 AM

congrats.......I have been close and we even did a sorta slam (I had a bow and brown and my fiance had a brookie) but haven't had my own slam yet either....hopefully in Oct when we visit the park again.......

Good fishing &
God Bless

Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 08-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Way to go, Ive been close as well, Ive caught all three in a 24 hour period but never in a single outing, I will have to reconsider using a weenie as a dropper.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Way to go, Red! And thanks for the report...

The weenie RULZ! Don't leave home without it!

Paula
Old 08-28-2006, 02:54 PM

I got my first "Slam" Sat. Fish high in the morning and cought 6 Brookies.
Fished below Elkmont in the late afternoon and cought 2 Browns and a Rainbow.
Used #16 Yellow Stimulator and #18 Yellow Parachute Adams.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM

Dang.....you guys make it hard on us unfortunate souls stuck up north (Ohio...Go Buckeyes!!! and go Vols also).....anyways, my daughter just sold her house back here and is moving everything to Newport (or somewhere around there) Sounds like good ole dad may have to find a reason to help her transport some of her belongings so I can sneak in some fishing in the park before Oct trip.......btw I introduced her to fly fishing in May when I was in townsend and she loves it......

Good fishing &
God Bless

Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 PM

Congrads. I have had a slam before on the Little Red. Never in the smokies. In fact I've never caught a brown in the smokies that I can remember.

Its hard to get a slam out here in Colorado. Lets see, that would be a Rainbow, Brown, Brooke, Greenback Cutt, Snake River Cutt and Colorado River Cutt. Hmmm well I guess you dont have to get them all since not all species are in the same rivers. Oh and I forgot about Cuttbows and Lake Trout. I wonder if we have tiger trout around here too... Oh and I hear there may be a few goldens left in some of the super remote high country lakes.