Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 09-02-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: building own rod

thanks Griff.....I appreciate the info.....

Hey tennswede...I did hear from LRO and they are not currently carrying building equip....but wouldn't rule out the future....

buckeyetrouter

Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-02-2006, 12:01 PM

I stopped by LRO last night on the way to an awesome evening of fishing on thw West Prong. *They said they probably wont be getting into carrying rod building suppplys anytime soon. *

I found this link this morning, it is a list of suppliers.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...showtopic=6310

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:06 PM

Hello Buckeyetrouter,

Beware, I began building my own rods around 4 years ago, now I have a closet full of them :P Seriously, it is an enjoyable experience building your own rods and catching some nice fish on something you built yourself. If your ready to make the plunge I would recommend a book by Art Schenk (Fly Rod Building Made Easy) on building a rod from scratch. It is an easy read and shows ways to build rods with many items that you might have laying around your shop or garage. It costs around $25, but it can be worth it if you intend on building more rods in the future. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Neal
Old 09-03-2006, 07:59 AM

thanks Neal.......was thinking that would be my next step ( book or video on building) before I actually bought the rod material. I was also wondering if there is any tooling items that I would absolutely need before attempting this project....also is any one material easier to work with for a beginner that another?

thanks
Buckeyetrouter
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 AM

Hello again,

You won't have to buy many tools to start with, most of the itmes are cheap or you might have them already. You don't need to buy a high dollar rod wrapper to make a nice rod or a motor to turn the rod after you put finish on the guide wraps. The main thing is to take your time and enjoy the experience. Rod material wouldn't make any difference as far as difficulty, although I have only built graphite rods. I plan on building a fiberglass rod for my next project. You may wann not spend too much on your first blank, you can get a pretty good blank or a kit for less than a hundred dollars. PM me if you have any more questions, and I'll do my best to help.

Have fun!

Neal
Old 09-03-2006, 12:21 PM

Buckeyetrouter!

Okay, I guess I won't be in the doghouse with LRO then, My recommendation for pricing and selection would be Jann's Netcraft and secondly Cabelas. Cabela's offer a tackle craft catalog or you can go online.

As for books. The book Neal mentioned is real good. I borrowed it from the library and might buy it later on. It is available on Amazon.com for around 15 bucks. Try LRO first they might have it I don't know. I wish LRO would start selling rod building stuff but I realize they can't justify inventory for slow moving items.

Good Luck.

NEAL!

ARE YOU COMING THIS WAY SOON?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Hey tennswede.....

Oct 16 - 22 at the earlyest....although my Daughter sold her home back here in Ohio and is moving to ?Newport? area....being a good father I may have to help her move some items mid sept...and sneek in some fishing.....

thanks for the info and help.....and your fishing reports keep me going between visits to townsend area, please keep it up for those of use not so close but longing for the park waters.....

maybe we can hook up for some fishing when we are back down, I would love to learn more about fishing the park....

good fishing &
God Bless

buckeyetrouter
Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM

Buckeyetrouter!

Any time you would like to go I'm game. I had a tough day on Little River today. Fished the same spot I did Sat. Caught two bow's and lost one spool of fluorocarbon a'la $6. Oh well.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 AM

OK. I think I have decided to build a less expensive rod for my first time out. I am looking at the H & H IM6 kit with the charcaol blank. The kit at Hook and Hackle is only $70.32 without a rod case. If you add the rod case it is still only $87.10. This kit haas everything that you need to build the rod. I might substitute a few items like thread color. I might even dress it up a bit with a custom reel seat or special grip from some of the online suppliers. Any thoughts? Has anyone built a rod on this blank before? Oh yeah, it will be a 2 piece, 7'9" 3 weight.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:42 PM

hey Griff.....

that is just about what i am looking to try. gonna have to look up the site you talked about and see what is available....

good luck with the rod, and even more fun fishing with it when you are done.......

buckeyetrouter