Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: building own rod

congrats Griff....did you get to fish it yet

Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 PM

I had about 30 minutes of daylight left after stopping by LRO for a new reel and 3 wt line. I caught a couple of rainbows on the west prong before running out of light. I love how it fishes!

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 AM

that's awsome brother......I know how good it feels when I catch a fish on a fly that I've tied or a lure I've made...I can't wait to get a rod together and catch a bow on it.......again, congradulations....

buckeyetrouter
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM

hey Griff ( or anyone else who has done this)......question....how do you find the spine of a rod that is 3pc...do the pcs come marked with a line up so they go together right and you can find the spine or do you do each section separately then line up your parts......

buckeyetrouter
Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 PM

You do each section seperately and then line them up. You might not be able to find the spine/spline on the lower most section but that is OK. Some people say that with the modern rods there is no need to find the spine/spline. I feel like it's worth the few minutes. What rod are you looking at building? I am about to get started on twin ultrlight spin-cast rods for my two girls.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:00 AM

Question for you guys, how hard was it? What tools did you have to buy? I'm looking a purchasing a Loomis or Sage 8'6" blank! Wanted to know if you guys baught kits or purchased the pieces independantly? Most places i'm looking at have kits to go with thier rods. What's the benifits or draw backs to single foot guides? I wanted to TiCh snake guides, but I'm seeing quite a few rods built with single foot guides and no one goes into great detail about why one is better than the other. This rod that I want to build, needs to be an all around rod probably a 5 wieght and fish the smokeys and most tailwaters! One last question for you all! Should I buy a cheap rod to start with, till I get the hang of it, or just be methodical with assembly? The blanks i'm looking at purchasing are around 250 to 350, alotta money to mess up! Thanks for any help!

Fishermansfly
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 AM

I don't think it was very hard. I really enjoyed it. I only bought a few tools to get started.

You will need something to ream the cork grip to fit your blank. You can use a round file (Lowe's or Home Depot for about $5) or you can use a Razor wand which is a reamer sold specifically for reaming cork for about $7. I bought a razor wand and highly recommend it unless you already have the round file.http://shop.mudhole.com/Razorwand-Re...=2&category=83

I also got a 3 piece tool set for wrapping http://shop.mudhole.com/Gudebrod-Com...2&category=851

I made a wrapping jig out of a cardboard box (sorry I don't have a picture).

I would suggest buying a kit for your first one although you can certainly build your own "kit" from one of the online suppliers. I used a kit from Hook and Hackle and asked them to switch out a few things for me. If you call them and let them know that you are building your first rod they will really help you a lot.

Single foot vs. double foot guides have been debated a lot. I chose to use single foot guides becasue I wanted my 3 wt to be as light as possible. Remember, you will have twice as many wraps to do if you go with the double foot guides. Check out some of the rod building forums and do a search and read the debates. I think for a 5 wt you could go either way.

Lastly the question of should you go cheap or build the rod you really want...most people do start with a less expensive rod for their first build. There are some great blanks out there that do not cost a lot of money. Baston Enterprises makes Forcast and Rainshdow and these are really good blanks for the money. Pacific Bay makes a line of blanks to that I have heard good things about. There are several others. $250-$350 is a lot to spend on a blank! I would probably wait on that one until you see how it goes with a less expensive blank. You can build a really nice rod for less than $100. If you enjoy it and want to build another rod then you might build a more expensive rod. Then you would have an extra to let a friend use, etc.

My advice is to take your time designing what you want to build and shop around on the internet to see what is out there. When you do start your build take your time and enjoy it. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Brett - I tried twice to send you a PM but could not get it to work so I am posting it here. Luckily I saved it this time before hitting Send Message.

Brett-

Let's try this again. I just wrote a very helpful and insightful reply that answered all of your questions, solved all of your problems, and had a plan to end world hunger but when I hit Send Message it errored out and I lost it, so you will have to make due with this one.

First of all I am truely sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you , I have had a **** week at work.

I can't give you an opinion on the two rods that you metioned because I do not have any experience with them, they sound like nice blanks though. I was happy with the kit I got from Hook and Hackel. I think that you should be fine with buying all of your pieces seperately as long as you call when you order and let them know what you are looking for and that it is your first build. You will need tip top adhesive, rod builder's epoxy, and finish epoxy, I used flex coat for all of the above. You will need to order thread made for rod building. I like the Gudebrod nylon size A. If you want the color to stay the same as what's on the spool you will need to use color protector.

I have not tried the single trim wraps but they do look nice. Steeldrifter (from rodbuildingforum) just did a rod with them and it looks great. he did say that it took a while and was frustrating so take that into consideration.

I have a home-made wrapping jig (cardboard box), a neat thread tensioner, all of the glues, 2 cork reamers, 2 round files, and several colors of thread that you are welcome to borrow. I am about to finish up my latest rod project and then I am going to concentrate on learning to tie flys.

The most important thing is to take your time designing them and building them.

Rodbuildingforum.com has some great info on it. I saw that you have already found it.

Good luck, ask all the questions you want and I will do my best to help.

Wes

Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 PM

I built my first rod about a year a go. I got one of the Hook and Hackle kits. These are great rods. I use my 7.5' 5wt all the time. As far as building, Griff nailed it. Just take your time and don't be afraid to make a mistake.

Here are a few pix of my jig and a rod I built for a friend:

Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Nice looking wrapping jig and nice rod too.