Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Fishing Nets

I would like some feedback on wether or not fishermen use dipnets while fishing in the Smokeys ? I personally don't use a net: for the simple reason they"re to much trouble to keep up with. Releasing and protecting the fish is mush easier with a net, so I would like to know what net to get to solve my problem. slickrock
Old 08-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Fishing Nets

Slick,

I'll let others with more experience share their net preference. I will share that I have the magnetic connectors and I like them alot. If I'm fishing up high for Brookies or small Bows I don't take the net. If I'm fishing in water where I may catch a Brown, I've got the net. Just my preference.

Kevin
Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 PM

Netless here. Always careful to wet the hands before handling the catch. 90% of the fish don't really require the use of a net. If I'm lucky enough to hook a good size fish, I take him to the shallows and try to remove the fly while the fish is still in the water, unless of course I need a snapshot of him. I would wager there are many differing views on this subject. If you do get one, make sure the net part is the rubber material and the holes are close together.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM

I also carry a net with the magnetic connector.It will get hung on brush every now and then, but it sure came in handy on a 16 inch brown last year. I like to be prepared, another big brown may only be one cast away.