Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 09-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Default 1st time in Smokies / Fly Fishing

I'm new to the message board and I'm fairly new to the world of fly fishing. I took my first lesson about 6 months ago and my instructor told me that "if fishing is addictive, fly fishing is crack cocaine." Well...I think he was right, because it's all I think about any more.

Any way...I'm headed to the Smokies Monday and Tuesday...camping in Cades Cove. Can anyone point me in a good direction that I could fish or where I would have the best luck for a relative beginner?

Thanks for any help and hope to see and talk to a few of you in the mountains...I can't wait!

Deedub
Old 09-01-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Re: 1st time in Smokies / Fly Fishing

Tuesday when the crowds are gone should yield some good fishing on Abrams. Drive to the abrams falls parking area and fish trailside. Be careful though. It is the slickest stream in the mountains. You could also fish Anthony Creek upstream but it is tight going.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM

I agree with TS. Anthony Creek which runs through the Picnic Area at Cades Cove offers some great fishing for small and easier to catch rainbows. I would also try the West Prong of the Little River. It a great place for beginners. Fishing is excellent from the "Y" to the tunnel or all the way to campsite 18. If you are having a hard time with dry flies try a weighted nymph under a strike indicator. Attach the indicator around 2' from the fly and watch it closely. A bead head pheasant tail will work fine.

Byron
Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM

Thank you both. That gives me someplace to start. I had noticed on a map of the camp site where we are staying that
there is a creek to the north of the picnic area. How far would I have to go to catch any Brook trout? I assume I'm at too low an elevation in Cades Cove for them? Thanks for getting back so quickly.

Deedub
Old 09-01-2006, 03:48 PM

You are in pretty much low elevation areas when in the cove. The nearest reliable brook trout stream to the cove would be Lynn Camp Prong on middle prong of Little River. A mile or so above the Lynn Camp Cascades. You are really not in the part of the park known for reliable Brook Trout.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:48 AM

Hello to all i'm a nebie to fly fishing and i love it i have some friends that have took me under the wing
and are taking me to all kinds of places in the smokies so far i have not caught anything on my flyrod we went down to pittman centerand fished the stocked part of the stream and there i caught serval fine looking fish. I'm looking forward to landing my first, also looking forward to visting the outfitters
shop my friends have been there but i did not get to go, on my next trip to the smokies i plan on stopping in and checking out the shop, well enough good luck to all.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 PM

Hello all, i've been reading this board for about two weeks ever since my wife and i have decided to spend our vacation there fly fishing. naturally i had to find a fly shop in town and by the looks of it LRO is the place to go. i'm not a big message board guy but i have to give all of those who post here a ton of credit for offering advice and just being plain friendly to those that may only get to experience your area a couple of times. we are really looking forward to doing some real fly fishing and checking out the shop. Missouri does have some good trout water but i'm looking forward to some mountain streams. so be prepared to be invaded by two fine folks from the show me state and i'm looking forward to meeting ALL of you.

tight lines