Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Another trip to Little River

Couldn't stay home or rather couldn't sleep due to bachache and allergies. Left Knoxville at 4 am and stopped at Waffle House in Alcoa. Got my fill and ended up below Elkmont at 5:35 am. Pitch black and nothing to do but listen to the roaring river which I couldn't see. I listened to XM radio for awhile and at 6: 45 am. I was able to see enough to gear up. I began fishing a Prinche BH with no luck. The water was very swift and somewhat silty. I guess they got some good rain up on top of the hills. The temp was 64 in the water. I finally got a small rainbow when I switched to a Yellow Stimulator. It was 10 am before I got my second Bow a nice leaping 10". Then I began to get some strikes but wasn't able to hook em. I had tremendous difficulty with drag due to high water and nymphing didn't work for me at all. I quit at noon when a steady rain began to fall. I managed to drop one full spool of fluorocarbon in the drink and got burned by some kind of poison oak or something. It hurt pretty bad but I carry a first aid kit which everyone should do. I managed to find some ointment to put on.

I decided to stop in at LRO to buy some flies and some new wading socks. I bought a nice soft pair of Simms socks. I was happy to see that they were still made in U.S.A. Anyway after hearing about all the great fishing reports from Byron I wished I had gone yesterday. I needed a break though. I stopped at Subway for a pizza and it took thirty minutes to get to the front of the line. Got him to Knoxville at 3 pm and now I'm dead tired. I don't know why I'm telling you all this, I guess since my fishing has not been too good this Labor Day weekend I have to fill up my stories with something
Old 09-04-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Another trip to Little River

sorry to hear it man. at least you were out on the water instead of on the couch at home. hope it gets better for you.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Sorry about the fishing---but--a great post anyway--because,what can be better to see all lit up in the dark of the 4 o'clock morning than a pancake house.Vera's outside Jackson Hole,serves inthe infamous "fisherman's" breakfast.Itis buffalo sausage,eggs,and,biscuits and gravy,surrounding sour dough banana nut bread that has been prepared like french toast,you get a choice of huckleberry or maple syrup--the sign on the wall says"If you can't eat that you can do without".
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 AM

I remember being at Elkmont one morning when it was really dark. i took off up the trail and when I was about 1/2 mile up the road I began hearing something following me beside the trail. I would stop and it would stop, I'd walk faster and it would keep up. I figured it was all my immagination and I tried to ignore it but it kept following me and sounded like it was getting closer to me. I finally decided to throw some rocks towards the noise and when I did I heard something run away . I figured this was the end of it so I took off up the trail again, but it kept following me. I had to chose weather to be a big baby and go back to the truck until daylight, or be a man and keep going. i chose to go back to the truck because i would rather be embarrassed by being a scardy cat, then to be a headline about a man eaten by a mountian lion-rattler-copperheaded-bear in the park . I never did figure out what that thing was but I'm sure that it was trying to stalk and eat me
Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM

the smoky mountains are full of haunts,and legends,a little girl wandering into the woods,never to be seen again,maidens jumping off cliffs rather than to be captured by indians,fatal bear attacks,a confederate calvary unit disapearing after being sent to reconnoiter a trail across the newfoundland gap area and so on.Hope it was not the little girl above that was following you--cause you should not throw rocks at children--Thats the nice thing about pancake houses--most stay open 24 hours a day--haunts usually stay away---so have an extra cup of coffee
Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Russ, I believe the old saying is "Descretion is the better part of valor". I don't blame you ,you did the right thing.
A mountain lion would have had you before you knew it. (There are alot of valid reports of cats coming back to Southern Appalachians.) A gal was jogging over above Tremont a year or two back, and had a bear follow her in a similar pattern of behavior. From what I've read you might have been stalked by a bear OR it could have been squirrels or birds. I 've read and seen several accounts of young male Black Bear attacks following that pattern. The lady who was killed by the bears back in '99 was stalked from the description I heard. I always carry a small flashlight with me either in my vest or a small fanny pack (survival-first aid kit). The root along the trail might be a copperhead or just high enough to twist an ankle. The stream valleys stay dark longer and get dark before I usually want to leave.
I take a lot of ribbing for it but carrying a canister of bear spray does not hurt. I'm not "a siss" or have chronic "bearanoia" either. Even if following bear protocal, your no longer dealing with a "wild predictable animal". If it were a bear it could have been just curious, but there is a thin line. Bear closing and problems seem to be more and more frequent.

Having reached into an undercut in high muddy water and touching the arm of a drowning victim, has made me reassess the value of somethings WE DO to get to the "one pool" or to get "a better drift". If it doesn't feel right don't do it. THERE USUALLY IS A REASON IT DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT. My brother and I had a guide on the S.Fork of the Shoshone last summer. The water was high, we had fished a long distance, etc. I did not felt comfortable about crossing the stream at the mouth of a small canyon. My brother and guide , both younger and stronger than I, went on tried crossing and barely made it back without a swim.

Tenneswede- Been there. I've get splitting headaches to where I sick to my stomach. I had migranes allegries occur when I've backpacked in. I always Keep a supply of "pills and med's" with me. They take the edge off so I can function.

Randy Sale
Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 PM

russ--sorry if I was sarchastic-I did not mean to be---those moments were tough i am sure--was trying to impart a little humor,on a dark and scary situation---Are there really mountain lions in the Smokies--are bobcats being called mountain lions?Old timers like my grandad called large bobcats panthers.I think mountain lions squal during breeding season,They are loud--sounding like a baby crying
Old 09-06-2006, 11:23 PM

If you have a lot of time and are interested in Mountain Lions in Southern Appalachians check out http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....ad.php?t=12962. *Once you wade through the "JAWING" some of the references are very interesting. One kitten was road killed in Eastern Ky, confirmed by Ky Fish and Wildlife Biologist. Genetic tests show it to be 1/2 North American Mountain Lion and 1/2 of South American origin (Someone's cute kitten grew up)http://www.easterncougar.org/beyondsightings.htm.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:36 AM

lauxier, I didn't see anything but good humor in your post . *I made a lot more fun of myself while i was walking back to the truck with my knife in hand ready to fight .

Maybe i was hearing a squirrell or a turkey or hog or something but it was more likely my fishing vest rubbing against my water bottle that i heard and then immagined the rest :-/. *
i actually waited at the truck until some other fishermen showed up and then I walked down the trail behind them. *
Old 09-07-2006, 08:44 PM

Russ!

When are you going to be available for some fishing?