Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Default greenbriar

when i was in the park in august, i ventured to greenbriar and it looked great. I drove back to where the split is and crossed the bridge for approx 1/2 mile.

Question.....at the split is it better to got staight or cross at the split....and how far does the gravel go before it turns to trails..
hoping to fish greenbriar this oct when we are down....

thanks for any info...

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: greenbriar

If I understand you correctly you are taking about where the wooden bridge go to the right. If you go straight that is the beginning of Porter's Creek, Greenbrier continue to the left.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:17 PM

does the gravel road turn to trails and if so, how far up is that....

are both good fishing, seems it could get a little tight and hard to get to water at spots that I saw.....

buckeyetrouter
Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Let's clarify. If you go in to the park at the Greenbrier entrance in Pittman Ctr. you are going on a paved road past the Ranger Station. After about 3 miles you pass the picnic area and then shortyly thereafter the road comes to a split. Turn left on to the wooden bridge and you are therby following Middle Prong of Little Pigeon River also known as Greenbrier. If you go straight instead you are going up Porter's Creek. This gravel rd goes for a mile or so to a parking are and then a trail begin which takes you up to the headwaters of Porter's Creek. I hav had average sucess on the lower section of Porter's Creek. I don't feel it is worth fishing much. That is my personal opinion and someone else might have better luck on it. It is somewhat silty and lacks pocket water and holding water.

If you go to the left and follow middle prong you will eventually come to Ramsay Cascade Trailhead. Here the trail goes up the mountains four three four miles up to Ramsay Cascades. On this trail middle prong splits to the right about two miles up. If you go to the left you are on Ramsay Prong. If you continue up to the right you will eventually come to the mouth of Buck Fork which goes to the left. If you continue up another mile or so you are on Chapman Prong. NOTE: If you go up past the split with Ramsay Prong you are in extremeley difficult surroundings. You most likele will be by yourself and the likeliehood of getting hurt is very high. I do not recommend much time up there by yourself. I have tremendous respect for that area. If you get hurt it might be three days or more before anyone is coming up on you. Always fish with a buddy that far up.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM

thanks Hans......that is what I was looking for, it helps me to understand when I hear some of these names on this board....

like I said, will be in townsend oct 16-23 and hope to be able to hook up a fish with you for a morning or day

buckeyetrouter