Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Bears

Our local newspaper - The Maryville Daily Times, aka "The Daily Error" - occasionally prints some useful information. One of today's front page stories was about recent bear activity in the park. *I've excerpted a couple paragraphs to post here. You can read the whole article by clicking on the link that follows. For those of you driving in from out of town, it might be a good idea to bookmark their website and check the paper from time to time. Do a search for bear activity stories. Their online publication can be found at * *www.thedailytimes.com

"Backcountry users should be particularly cautious about how they handle and store food over the coming months. The park has posted warnings and closed three campsites where aggressive bears have been found.

'We had a person scratched in a tent at Walnut Bottoms in North Carolina, and we had a very aggressive bear on Little River Trail above Elkmont (also in North Carolina) this past two weeks,' DeLozier said."

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/263923

Hope this information is helpful.

Gerry Romer

"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Bears

WWW.Counterassault.com- will not harm the bear... but most importantly follow the rules and remind others in the park about the them also. Backpackers might check out the bear keg at that site if you hike where there are not cables. I saw some of these in the Beartooths in Montana/ Wyoming. looked great. My sons leads backpacking trips and I'm getting one for him .

The bears need to fear man and not see us as a food source. When there is a lot of food available bears will have larger litters, cut down the outside available food and mother nature will help slow down the bear reproduction (in an ideal situation). Sorry to say, we've built on the edges of the park-> more and easier food sources; more people in the park->more contact with human food; More bears less "good food". A very complex vicious cycle.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 AM

I have been going to the park on a regular basis for 4 years now. the first 3 years I was fishing an average of 3 days a week. in all those three years I only saw 2 bears. because I now have a regular job, this year I have only made it up to the park an average of about once every 2 weeks. yet this year alone, I have seen probably 10 bears. the past 5 times I have been to cades cove I have seen a bear. one time this year, I actually saw a teenager dressed in a bear suit hiding in some brush at the cove. there were about 20 people pulled over, taking pictures, when all of the sudden this guy jumps up out of the thicket and runs towards them, everyone screams, and he jumps in a vehicle where his friends were waiting on him. I laughed until my sides hurt. but back to my original story, I'm no expert on bear population in the park, but my sharp increase in bear sightings leads me to believe something is going on. either there's been a huge population increase, or they've lost any fear of humans. has anyone else noticed this?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:59 PM

1)I've seen more bears 2) heard of more bear problems, including one coming to visit me 3) more visitor disregard for bear safety 4)(Hope I am wrong) Less enforcement of bear rules in campgrounds- Elkmont Specifically
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 AM

went to abrams creek today, saw another bear on the back end of the loop. I pulled over and watched it a while. there were 4 of them actually, and one of them was HUGE. all the bears I've ever seen in the park have been pretty small. maybe about the size of a saint bernard. this bad boy was a monster. the others were smaller, and one or two I think were older cubs. but of course people kept walking up to them. this one guy got about 10 yards from the big one. I usually carry a big knife when I go fishing, and I've often wondered if I could kill a bear if it attacked me. well, about a month ago, there was a story in the news about a man (can't remember where) who was hiking when a bear attacked his dog. he jumped on the bears back and stabbed it to death. so I guess it can be done.

here, I found a link to the story http://neveryetmelted.com/?p=1317