Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Oh, that is sooo not fair!! Thanks for the pictures though, and really I give you my congratulations. I just keep thinking and hoping, maybe that'll be me someday... Great job.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Wow, what a pig - an impressive fish anywhere. I wonder how old it is - how long it took to reach that size in relatively infertile waters.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Unless I get to live near there someday (live in Nashville now), I will never catch a wild trout that big in the Applalachians. Congratulations. That thing is so big if it jumped up in the air it would get stuck.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Holy cow! What a Fish!

Nice!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:21 PM

I find it hard to believe that was caught in GSMNP. How would that even be possible considering the lack of a decent food source??
Old 08-03-2007, 02:14 PM

That fish was caught in the Little River "inside" the park. I know both the fishermen personally and the location it was caught. That fish was sighted and stalked by very skilled fishermen and implying otherwise is well......bad judgement. My 2 cents.

Brown trout over 15-16" feed mainly on smaller fish, crawfish, big stoneflies, grampus. The little river is full of that foodsource and can grow some surprising big fish.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:15 PM

I should have said "I am awestruck that was caught in GSMNP". No disrespect intended. I think I focused on the first picture that made me think it was a 30 pounder or something.. Regardless, easily the prettiest brown I have seen.

My youngest caught his first fish last weekend. I have attached the pic but it may just show up as a link. It looks bigger than it was due to the camera angle but impressive nonetheless. He isnt a fly fisher....yet.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...22-2007-02.jpg
Old 08-03-2007, 05:27 PM

There are some big trout in that river....in years back I can remember walking up Fish Camp to Goshen and looking down into some of the large pools and seeing trout that would give you the shakes.....most of those trout were eventually poached by bait fishermen......a fish doesn't get that big without some smarts.....my uncle up there knows a local preacher that knows the location of most of the large fish on the river...and that is all he fishes for....I myself cannot afford such luxury....
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Big Brown

There are big browns in the Little River and the number used to be 100 fish 16" or better in the Little River *per mile!* Those fish usually feed at night or when the water is high or off color. One year in October I walked upon two browns paired up, the larger about 26" and the smaller about 22". Watch the tails of pools any shallow slower water near a trough. Any rock in the tail that appears to have room under it is worth a drift or two, or a shot with a streamer. Most of the big browns I see spook after I step on the rock they are under........ and downstream they go. They are mostly ambush hunters though. I have landed 10" browns on 4-1/2" streamers. Don't be afraid to use them, its just one more facet in the flyfishing arsenal. The quickest way to get a shot at one of these fish is to book a day with somebody like Tim Doyle, they can give you his number at Little River.
Best,
John
Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to christopher Send a message via Yahoo to christopher
Default Hmmmm

Not sure, was it a terestrial, streamer, or bhpt you caught that brown on?