Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-12-2006, 09:26 AM

Default where to go

first off, let me say how blessed we are to have a place like LRO. I have been searching the internet for fishing reports all across the country, and I can tell you that 90% of them are not current. thank you byron for a detailed daily fishing report. that being said, I was hoping some of you more experienced anglers could help me. I have some time off of work and am planning on heading somewhere to fish for a few days, possibly even up to 2 weeks. could anyone give me suggestions as to where to go? I can't afford a guide, will probably camp or sleep in my car, and live on potted meat (just kidding about that) but am up for anything really. I first thought about heading northeast, say VA, PA, and NY. any suggestions? But I am also considering heading west, san juan, or yellowstone area. I need a river I can wade, and something with relatively easy access, as I'm not really in the mood for a 10 mile solo hike in grizzly country. also I'd prefer somewhere that had good dry fly or terrestrial action right now. sorry to post this here, but as I said before, I'm having a horrible time trying to find these answers online. also, if anyone has the time or desire to go, I'd be up for having a fishing partner, and if you knew some good places to go even better. as I said before, I have lots of time off of work available so I can do whatever I want really. 2 days up to 2 weeks, and I plan on leaving soon. any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM

Default Re: where to go

ttas67, Where to start? The Smokies are fishing great right now. There are plenty of easily accessable waters to fish since the water temps are finally cooling down. If I were heading out west, I would go back to Yellowstone.
The lower section of the Gallatin river outside the park along Hwy 191 is fishing very good with Hoppers as is the Lamar, Soda Butte along NorthEast entrance road. I was out there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time fishing Hoppers and Para ant patterns. Wish I had the time off to go again but I hope this gives you some ideas.
Troutman