Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Saturday above Tremont

Fished for two hours Saturday morning above the two single lane bridges. Despite my best efforts to totally screw up I managed to catch three (small) 'bow's. I missed about twenty and caused severe damage to a Hemlock branch. All strikes on dry's. I couldn't figured out the nymph thing. Maybe this winter...........Water temp 69 degrees.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Saturday above Tremont

Make that 59 degrees.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM

Jim,

I live in Maryville and fish that stretch all the time with good results. If you want to meet up there sometime send me a PM.

Kevin
Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 AM

I was on that stretch of water Sunday. No sooner did my wife and family drop me off to go hiking with friends, I found myself in a torrential downpour. After several attempts at tying my fly to the line, I was finally successful in attaching a green weenie off an elk hair caddis. Talk about timing. I had one my best days using that combination in the rain and after it. Greedy little trout!

I love fishing Tremont and it's branches. I have my eye on a large brown trout in an unlikely place. Shocked me the first time I saw it. But not only does Tremont hold some surprises, it's beauty is not surpassed by too many streams. Let me know if you ever want a fishing partner for a day.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 PM

MJ & Red,

I live in Maryville also. PM sometime and maybe we can get up a 'local's' outing. I've been trying to find time to meet Hans up there, but have had to work for the last 6 weekends.

Jim - I know your frustration oh too well about the nibblers with no hookups. How long is your total length of leader and tippet ( length between line and fly ) ? Most of the time when I'm having trouble with no hook-ups, my leader is too long. I try to have no more than 10 feet total on those small streams. Maybe that will help.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:52 PM

Sounds good to me... I've met up with Hans several times and I have learned alot from just listening and watching, the guy really knows his stuff and he's super nice.

I'm out of town this weekend, but keep me in the loop. I think it would be a good time.

I'm still just learning, but I have been having tremendous success with 7.5 ft of lead (down to 6X) with a 14" dropper.

Kevin
Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM

From Maryville as well. Still learning and trying to be as stealth as possible.

I would like to meet up with some fellow Fly Fishers as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM

Well, you all I'm gonna have to wipe my misty eyes from all the emotion stirred up from the comments on here. If you all just could tell my wife how nice I am

Seriously, I'm game for anyone to tag along. In fact the older I get the more young folks I need around me so I can fish all the dangerous places and still have someone go for help.

Probably won't fish much next weekend. Planning on going to Lefty's party at LRO Sunday afternoon. I have to pick up my wife at the airport at 11 pm Sunday night. I might fish somewhere on Little River either one of the three forks after I'm done at LRO. Probably just fish three four hours until dark. If anyone will be at LRO on Sunday between noon and about 3 pm or so talk to me and we can go wet a line.
I'm almost bald, ugly, and drive an old beat up Ford Ranger. I will probably wear a Trout related T-shirt and ball cap, and as soon as I open my mouth you know it's me because of my funny foreign accent.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:34 PM

Hans & others from Maryville,

I may be back at lunch on Sunday. If so, I'll come out to LRO and then fish in the evening. Hope to see you there!

Kevin
Old 09-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Hi all!

Justincraneman here on the board is meeting up with me noonish on Sunday. Sounds like we could make it a gathering of sorts. See ya'll there.