Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-08-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Effects of DEET

Has anyone had experience with DEET causing your fly to be rejected. In-Fisherman did a study years ago and found bass rejected the taste of DEET. However they didn't do the experiment with trout or with flies.

Tom
Old 09-09-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Effects of DEET

I wonder to what degree trout really "taste" . ?? *:-?I'll have to see if I can find my Ichthyology text books. *I know they pick up all sorts of "stuff" in the water to see if it is drifting food.

Deet is bad news of flylines and equipment and yourself. Keep it away from your equipment!! If you use it, apply with back of hands, wash hands well with handling food and equipment. Harry Murray's son did an experiment with bug repellents and their destruction of fly lines as a science project. I stand away from any tackle when and IF I apply it. Then wash my hands well before touching any tackle. Deet is supposedly absorbed into your blood stream and spinal fluids in seconds. I purchased a couple of "bug suits" one June while in May (black fly season)
I'm going to try rubbing a moistened "Bounce" fabric softener on my arms the next time I need a repellent. We used it on the screens of our camper on the Outer Banks and didn't have a "no see'ns" while our neighbors went nuts at night or went home!!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Has anyone tried repellent with picaridin as active ingredient? It is supposedly effective without many of the problems of DEET
Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 AM

I have quit using deet all together. I had some stuff that had a higher concentration of deet than 'Off' but if i put that stuff on after I was sweaty then everywhere that stuff was on my skin broke out in a red rash that burned really bad. Plus, i accidently got some on my mouth a few hours after I applied it and my lips and tongue went numb. One day we'll find out that deet gives you cancer or kills all of your brain cells or something . I'll put up with the bug bites or maybe try the dryer sheets.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 AM

After getting DEET in my eye from perspiration and spending 3 days trying to get the red and pain to go away I quit using it also. Seeing what it did to the leather seat on my truck should have sent the message the stuff is BAD. Funny thing about the seat was that I don't think it actually leaked from the container, rather the summer heat must have made it bleed out the spray applicator. Like Russ I also got it on my lips and had the numbing sensation.

It may or may not have any effect on fish rejecting the fly but it doesn't seem worth the risk to me. A cheap cigar has to be less harmful than DEET. I was using the 99% stuff.

Regards, gary <*))))><
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 AM

I gave up the DEET long ago after it triggered an asthmatic attack (I don't have asmtha) and started using the Skin-So-Soft from Avon after a hunting buddy of mine told me about it.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:48 PM

kytroutman,

Are you using the Avon Skin So Soft straight or do you dilute it with something? I have heard of this but it seems it was being cut with alcohol.

regards, gary <*))))><
Old 09-15-2006, 08:50 AM

Hey Gary. I use it straight from the bottle.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 PM

Hello kytroutman,

My son in law and I will be going to Michigan tonight so I am going to give it a try. I just checked and the Mrs. had a bottle which may be a couple years old but we will give it a shot. They are calling for temps in the upper 70's so I suspect the "Michigan Air Force" may be out.

Thanks, gary <*))))><