Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Slickrock Creek-getting there!

Am planning a trip in to Slickrock. Heard that the Slickrock trail was
badly dammaged by storms, and is nearly impassable. The only other
route in that I have heard of is Stiff Knee Trail. I do not know where to
access this trailhead.
Can anyone help me? Maybe you know of an easier way in?
Thanks.
gburris
Old 09-13-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Slickrock Creek-getting there!

Havent been out to SRC since early August.. Went in on the trail from Cheoah then and it was fine... About a month earlier I went in from the Big Fat Gap trailhead to fish the upper section.. Took Big Fat Gap Trail to Slickrock trail.. Its around a 1.5 mile hike to the creek from this trail head.. Also there is a 1000 feet of elevation change going in this way... Hope this helps ya out..

Marmot
Old 09-13-2006, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoss

Stiffknee trailhead is at the Far gap parking area on Doublecamp road, which is off Citico creek road. Go past Indian boundary to you come to Citico creek and follow the creek to the 1st bridge ( there was/is a camping area past the bridge on the right, not sure about the camping area since the flood back in the early nineties) once you cross the bridge turn right and your on Doublecamp road, go about 10 miles ( more or less) and when the road makes a very hard left with a parking area for a few cars on the left that is Far gap. The trail only goes a little ways and forks, take the left fork it follows a ridge and drops down to a saddle then turns right and follows little Slickrock creek to Slickrock creek. From there you can go a couple of miles down to lower falls or upstream to wildcat falls. It's been several years since I fished it but I always had better luck upstream from where Nichols cove creek comes in. Good luck and if snakes are still out be carefull, seen more rattlers and copperheads on this creek than anywhere else in 26 years of trout fishing.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 PM

I have backpacked/camped/fished back on Slick-Rock three times and fished it twice more, it can be tough but rewarding. All browns (probably know that) above the first falls about a mile above the lake. If its a day trip go early, you can take your time hiking in and not wear yourself out. I would park right by the bridge which crosses Calderwood res (below Cheoah dam). Since it is browns, you want to be the first on the creek, once spooked a brown seems to be done for a long time.
Start up the trail along the lake for about a 1/4 mile as I recall, watch for the Yellowhammer Gap trail which cuts up to the left, this is a steep trail (wish I had a map here) about 2 miles. Yellowhammer will bring you out above the first or second waterfall, lots of good water upstream, several campsites near where the trail hits the creek. In either direction you will have many stream crossings if you are packing. Very remote country, unless there are others back there!
Good day though. If someone could drop you and leave a car at Big Fat Gap parking area that would be good, you could fish upstream and hike out Big Fat Gap, wouldn't have to back-track.
Good luck and have fun. Go see the poplar cove if you have the time.
The lower stretch from the lake to the first falls may be good this time of year with spawing browns for the Calderwood, don't know but a pretty good bet.
Another thought is Big Santeetlah in the Joyce Kilmer, larger creek and typically lightly fished. Get a map and find the road that leads to the backcountry of B.S. Very pretty stream and some monster browns there as well.
Tight lines,
Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 AM

Hey gburris
I would advise you to go back to a posting made by "smctrout" on May 29th. You can go back and find it under "smctrout" profile. It would be well worth your time!

slickrock
Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoss

If you decide to go the Big Fat Gap route I would make sure I didn't leave anything of value in my vehicle. Based on my own experience and reports I have heard from others, vandalism is pretty bad in that area unless the forest service has started patroling the parking area. It's been 8 years since I have used that parking area but after getting my truck broken into and several items stolen I made up my mind never to go in that way again. Things may have changed I don't know just wanted to give ya, a heads up.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Hunting seasons have started. Please remember to wear a minimum of 500 inches of blaze orange (hat and vest). South Cherokee has a 3 day muzzleloader deer/hog hunt starting on Sept. 29 and there will be a bunch of people in the woods with guns, me included.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:30 AM

Did you ever make it over to Slickrock? If so how did you do?