Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Caney Fork Firsts

I hit the Caney last weekend w/ a friend of mine...looking to land my first trout. We waded in just below the Dam and it wasn't long before my friend caught a small rainbow near a downed tree. Not long after that he caught another rainbow of pretty good size (how would I know, until today, I'd never seen one).

I was getting a little nervous at this point that I would get shut out. I switched to a bead head nymph and got a hit right away...but I missed him. Not long after that I hooked one but he dove for the bottom and I got a lot of seaweed type junk all other my line. Just as I got him in close...splash...he was off!! The next one I brought in and had him in my hand for a split second and he wiggled out and splash...he was gone!!!

I went for a while with out much action and switched to a red San Juan Worm (a suggestion from a lifelong fisherman here at the office) and I landed a nice size rainbow. I borrowed my buddy's net and landed him. It was the coolest thing I ever expierenced in my short fishing life. I held him for just a few seconds and back into the Caney he went.

I had a great time and plan visiting the tailwater a lot more in the future. I'm off for the Smokies this weekend in search of more trout.

Good luck out there!

Deedub
Old 09-01-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Caney Fork Firsts

Deedub,

Great report! That first trout landed is a wonderful memory. The Caney is a lot of fun to fish. I'll probably be there this Sunday looking to educate a few fish myself 8-).
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Nice post, still nothing like the feel of a fish tight on the line! For those of us with the affliction! That San Juan worm is my brother-in-law's secret weapon. Purple is his favorite color, if they will hit nothing, they seem to eat the worm. One of these days I need to break down and try it. You might do well to try it in the park this weekend.
tight lines,
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM

nice post man, i remember my catching my first trout in the firehole. glad you caught some, the caney is a good tailwater and with some stricter regulations it could be just as good as the clinch or the watauga. i hope you tear em up this weekend. PA, make sure youve got 18-20 bhpt's and 20-22 zebra midges for the caney. tight lines guys.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:06 AM

The Caney has been on fire this summer, we've seen some good fish caught & lot's of fish caught, the trouble is, i've been sitting on the oars watching & netting them

Grumpy
Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 AM

yeah i hear ms. grump is whippin you pretty good. of course shes fishing out of your fly box isn't she.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 PM

That's my story & i'm sticking to it

Grumpy
Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 AM

congrats deedub.....you will now be addicted to fly fishing in what will become a life long love of a sport that becomes ingrained into your souls desires........be sure to share with family and friends...

did you get a pic ? I landed my first brookie first of aug. at tremont and didn't have a camera on me....ouch......somebody on this board suggested carrying a disposable camera for just such events .........

again, congrats
good fishing &
God bless
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-01-2006, 10:43 PM

Deedub. Great story and congrats. I've only been fly fishing for a little over a year and still vividly remember my first trout. I caught it in the Smokies on the second day of the FANTASTIC course I took at Little River Outfitters. It was about a 12'' brown. Just a tip for when you catch your next fish, strip it in close to you, wet your hand, then grab and hold the fish on its back. It will almost freeze as it will be very disoriented upside-down. Release it very gently, slowly and pointing upstream. Good fishin'.