Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Late September fishing on S.Holsten

Hello,
Wanna see if someone can help me with this. The S.Holston is one of the rivers in Tennessee that I have not had a chance to fish. I have some time off the last week of September and also the last week of October. I am coming up to the S.Holston in late September and know very little other than a few things I've heard or read on this forum. May be by myself so I'll have to wade and i'm hoping for a favorable generation schedule. How many access points along the river are there? Also, is that late enough to see any baetis on the cloudier days? Streamers are an option I suppose. What nymphs might be working? Don't want to know anyones favorite spot, just need a direction to go.
One other thing concerns me, and I read this on the message board here..... what about the problem with vehicle break-ins... has that problem been solved?

Thanks for any help,
M.Livingstone
Old 09-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Late September fishing on S.Holsten

If I may, I think you should hire a guide for atleast a half day. There is a lot to know about the Holston and fishing for the wild ones can be very technical. A good choice would be Scott Lewis with Alpha Trout Outfitters or Randy Ratliff with Troutfishers Guide Service.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:10 PM

dont feel like the lone ranger,we will be up there last thurs. thru sunday in september.you wont be the only ones virgin to the soho.i have done alot of research and have gotten some help from the nice folks on this board.look for alabama tags,we`ll be around and good luck
dalefish
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM

Thanks rfowler, thats probably good advice and I may do that. Its just the stubborn streak in me that says I've been around a little and I'll do alright. But, I know full well that it will be new water and I did struggle with the Clinch at first a alot of years ago! These two rivers seem to be similar from what Ican tell :-/
Dalefish, maybe I won't be the only one struggling on the water, eh? I'll be in a white Chevy w/camper top and Tn. DU plates. Maybe we'll have some good weather that week. Good luck to you...

Thanks for the reply
ML
Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 PM

M. Livingstone and Dale, I have been on the South Holston River several times in the last 2 weeks and I fished it today as well. I started below the Weir Dam and fished until about 11:30. I saw small black midges hatching and Baetis as well. The fish took Sulfur Compara Duns and Blackfly Emergers. A few days ago when I fished it, there were Baetis, Sulfurs, and Blackflies Hatching. The fish took the same flies. A few days before that I saw Sulfurs, Baetis, and Creme Midges hatching and the fish took CDC Softhackle Emergers (BWOs) and Blackbird Deerhair Emergers. Today at the last place that we fished, there were several large browns feeding on BWO Emergers. They consistenly took the Blackbird Deerhair Emerger. The water came on at 12:00 today and we made a full day by fishing up close to the dam until 11:30 and then we moved downstream several miles and fished for 2 more hours. We then moved farther down river and fished for two more hours. This gave my clients a full day of fishing even thou the water came on at 12:00. It was a good day on the water. Good luck on your trip.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 AM

ML,
No problem. You really should put the ego in check and go with a guide. The two I mentioned are good ones in that area, especially Scott on the South Holston. There are certain tricks and techniques that will put you on the larger fish. Not to mention show you around the river and it's bugs.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:29 PM

Mike Adams is a fine guide. Here's his website:
www.adamsflyfishing.com

He was a tyer at the LRO Fly Tyer's Weekend last year.

If you want to go without a guide, I am aware of at least 3 public access points:

1) immediately below the dam where the road crosses the river,
2) the end of Riverbend Road,
3) the Hickory Tree bridge across the S. Holston.

There are others farther downstream.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:13 PM

What RFowler said. Technical river!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 PM

Wow, I didn't expect so much help so quickly. I wanna thank everybody that's responded to my post. I have heard of the above mentioned guides and will certainly keep them in mind. The only reason I'm hesitant getting one riight now is I've got a few other fishing 'irons' in the fire . Like I said, I know full well the value of a guide on new water. I'm putting together plans to take a weeklong trip to the Mountain Home area of Arkansas the last week of October. Been about five years scince I have been to that area. That, along with a few projects on the domestic front and I'm lucky to get to just go. I've not gotten to go fishing scince the first week of July so, I'm needing some fresh air and some moving water.

Once again, thanks to the reply's. What a great site here at LRO.

M.Livingstone