Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Smokies Weekend Report

I decided I just had to go fish somewhere this weekend and decided at the last minute to run up to Townsend for the weekend. Got there around 5ish on Friday and set up camp at Elkmont. I decided to fish LR for an hour or 2 Friday evening below Metcalf and did very well, catching probably 15 fish. My 3rd fish was a 13 inch brown and I thought it probably couldn't get any better. All fish on Friday were caught on an Isonychia nymph.
On Saturday, I decided to explore a bit. I had never fished over at Greenbriar before so I drove over there and started fishing up from the Ramsey Cascades trailhead. I caught 40+ fish, about 50/50 'bows and brooks. Most of the fish were caught on a bh Tellico. Later in the day, the action died on the nymph but I tied on a Stimulator and started catching them again. The fish were in feeding mode. I had several good rainbows in the 9-11 inch range that I spotted out feeding and they would charge the fly as soon as it hit the water. Some fish I even stung and missed, cast back and nailed them!
I hiked back out around 3:30 and moved back over to Little River. I spent awhile watching some good browns out feeding, one of which even rose a couple of times. I decided to try back near where I caught the 13 inch fish again and see if another would hit. I had a bh Tellico on and cast up to the top of a pool. The fly sunk quickly and suddenly my fly line just stopped. I quickly set the hook and a little while later had a nice 16 inch brown to hand. I moved down to try the lower part of the pool and caught one before moving back to the top. Same thing happened again! My fly line stopped and I set the hook hard but nothing moved. I thought it was a snag so I jerked again and this time it started moving. I worked in another good brown, this one was 17 inches long!
Those were my two largest browns to date in the park (yeah, I know they would be bait for those "real" big fish ). It was definately a great weekend!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-17-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Smokies Weekend Report

Sounds like a great weekend to me! Ain't it sweet when you and the fish are dialed in?!? Gotta love this time of year when the water temps get right and the fish get cranked up and feed hard!

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM

I went fishing this past Friday about a half a mile from the Ramsey Cascades Trailhead. Right at the last wooden bridge with a large parking area. Fished for about 1+ hours and was doing very good. 6 nice rainbows hitting on both a caddis and a green weenie. Came to section upstream at about 200 feet from the bridge. Decided to get out and walk the trail past some large boulders and fish from the top of them to reach some nice looking holes. That is when my fishing trip ended. Walked right over a ground hornets nest. After several stings and setting a land speed record for a man in waders, I decided to call it a day. If you are in the area, stay off the small trail going to the left of the bridge.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Concerning the ground hornets nest: Do I look for a hole in the ground with the hornets flying around that hole area or do I look for a nest on the ground, per se?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 AM

You will usually find yellow jackets nesting underground with hornets in their typical paper nests handing withing reach of your backcasts along the rivers. Fall is typically an actice time of year for the yellowjackets. If you dig up these nests they resemble the typical wasp nest you find hanging under your eves. It doesn't take much to disturb them and they will funnel out of their hole looking for a fight. There can be two entrances to these nests and the size of the entrance is about the size of a quarter. Unless you are looking right at them they are hard to see....I will not go into the Park this time of year without a supply of benedryl in my vest.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:56 AM

Who cares about some litle bees , those are two NICE fish. I always tell people that a 10" fish in the park is worth bragging about. You caught a 17' fish, WOW WEEEEEEE!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM

Sounds like you had a great time on the Greenbriar and the Little River David. I am going to have to talk to my boss about taking a Friday off so I can take a long weekend trip to the Smokies before you catch all the fishes I am curious, when you were nymphing on the Greenbriar were you using any extra weight to get your fly down in the plunge poools that area common on that stream. I haven't done much nymphing in the Park, mainly dry flies except for the larger stream like Little River and Abrams. Appreciate any info you might provide. Great report and keep up the great fishing.

Neal
Old 09-18-2006, 04:35 PM

About the bees, I saw plenty yellow jackets around myself. This is definately a bad time of year for them and I actually worry more about them than I do snakes. Watch out for the large hornets nests over the water also. It seems I remember some stories on here of guys disturbing them while casting . That would not be fun at all...

Neal, I was using a LOT of weight this weekend. I was using a bead head to begin with and it may have had some extra weight tied in also, I can't remember. Additionally I used 2 #6 split shot above my fly to get it down. I tried one split shot for awhile and as soon as I added the second, I probably doubled my strikes. If you are used to nymphing without strike indicators, that is definately the way to go because the water depth is so varied. Also, don't forget the October Caddis dries in the next few weeks. I saw one Saturday night at Elkmont!!! 8-) If you want someone to fish with when you come up, let me know. I will be up there quite a bit more hopefully in the next few weeks.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com