Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-18-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Fished all three prongs of Little River Sunday

well, my buddy had something come up and had to cancel but I decided to go solo anyway. I stopped at LRO and saw Lefty Kreh for awhile and then decided to go to Millsaps Bottoms area. Two ladies came up on me as soon as I got out of the car. They had fished for a few hours in the morning. It was now noon so I decided to fish the stretch anyway. I fished until about 4 pm and caught 6 bow's one was 11" and 2 small browns. I decided to go to Tremont for the evening which was a mistake. I have never seen so many people I fished for 45 minutes and caught two small bows and missed several. I came up on a couple of fisherman and I stopped to talk to them. They weren't really interested in talking and I kind of got the cold shoulder. Oh well, some people are just like that. I guess they thought I was going to fish ahead of them. It wasn't my intention since I knew how many more people they would encounter upstream. I said my goodbyes and went to West Prong. Fished solo again for another hour and caught 4 more bow's. An okay day but the pressure on Tremont was downright ridiculous. I fille a plastic bag with garbage again. Anyone, please help. The trash situation in the park is getting out of hand.

Thanks to LRO for another great event.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Fished all three prongs of Little River Sunday

Hey sweede,
Glad to hear ya got out this weekend. i was baby sitting and mowing the yard, fixing the water heater, etc. Where is Millsaps Bottom?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM

Russ!

I am not completely out of touch with the geography Millsaps Bottoms is below the turn off to Elkmont. If I'm wrong someone enlighten me please?

Let me know your plans for the upcoming weekends? I have a few spots in mind where I would like some company.

Tight Lines
Old 09-19-2006, 08:41 AM

I don't think that i have to drive everyone around this weekend. It makes me so mad just thinking about having to do that. How's Saturday sound? I'll check into it and get back to ya.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 AM

First of all I need to edit my response. I meant to say If I am not completely out of touch with the geography. I made it sound like I know every spot in the park. I need to think before I type. As for your question. Saturday is my day to go fishing this weekend. Let me know how it's going later in the week. I have one spot on the other side of the hill in mind (NC).
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 PM

Hello Hans,

What is geography, that's right I took one quarter of it one summer at Ohio State i talked with my boss today about taking a long weekend during the first week or to in October and he is on board. I have some extra hours from a Saturday that I worked in early August so I plan on leaving a little early on a Thursday and start making my way towards the Smokies. I will have to setup camp in the dark, but thats no big deal. I am leaning towards camping at Elkmont so I can fish the LIttle River and some of its headwaters, plus I will be close to the West Prong, etc. Plan on fishing Friday thru Sunday afternoon, then head back to western Tn. I will be watching the weather, as I don't wanna head that way if its a rainy weekend when I only have 3 days to fish. Hope to beat the leaflooker rush hour and still enjoy some good brookie and maybe some brown fishing. I'll let you know when I decide to head that way.

Have fun, and keep teasin them Smoky trout

Neal
Old 09-20-2006, 07:39 AM

Neal!

Sounds good. I might be able to take a Friday off in early October if I get a few days "heads up".

Old 09-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Hey Swede,

I needed a break and the cool weather inspired me to be a little adventurous, so I decided I needed a roadtrip. Drove up Sunday after church and stopped in LRO just in time to hear Lefty give a few casting tips. Unfortunately I wasn't blonde and curvaceous so I didn't get any personal lessons. *
I just hope when I'm 80 I still have half the fire and form he does. *I had heard it was going to rain all day Monday so I rushed off to set up camp at Elkmont with that in mind Sunday night. I managed to get 3 rainbows and a brook, right in front of my site just before dark. I fished all day Monday waiting for the rain that never came and had a great day. I think the crowds were definitely gone. * I started above Metcalf bottoms and took two browns, one was about 12' and the other was a newborn. I moved down to below the Sinks and had a great time. I even caught several nice rainbows on a pink weenie, only because I lost all of my greenies on fish or rocks. I sighted a fish that had to go 20", but couldn't get him to take. After my afternoon coffee break, thanks to the greatest invention - the jetboil - I headed up to Tremont where dries were the ticket. Right before dark I heard on the radio a storm was coming, so I headed back to camp. It rained solid from 8:00 Monday night until 7:00 Tuesday morning. I was trying out a new camping set up, a Hennessy Hammock, and I must say, I slept both nights as soundly as I can remember, and woke up with no sore back pains. I did have to get used to the sound of my tarp relieving iteself next to my head every few minutes, but for the amount of rain we got, I stayed dry and cozy. I packed up Tuesday morning, and headed home, stopping at the two afore mentioned spots, and taking a few more fish on the pink weenie, before saying adios to the GSMNP. I was trying to convince myself and my son that you could get two good days fishing in and still be back home in time for work/school leaving on a Friday afternoon (early). Making the trip on a non-weekend probably spoiled me a little with regards to the crowds, but I think the realization that there are fish in so many places in the park, most of which I never thought, like in the middle of the Elkmont campground, we will be able to find some solitude. The 8 hour roundtrip was definitely worthwhile. Thanks to LRO for giving me an excuse. Next time I won't need one.

justfishing
<'))))><