Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Bad Weather Fishin'

This weather started me thinking about some of the bad weather I've fished in. I'm not sure if it is dedication or stupidity , but I have fished in all kinds of weather, even lightning . Last year, I fished in sleet on the Caney and snow on the Hiwassee. Sometimes the fishing has been very good during bad weather and other times it has been slow. Some of my very best days have been in high water after a good rainstorm.
One of my scary moments was on Lynn Camp a few years ago. I was fishing with a friend after a heavy thunderstorm. He was standing in about 2 feet of water in the middle of the stream. I was fishing off to the side of the same large hole when I realized that the stream sounded louder. It suddenly came to me and I shouted, "Flash flood!" at him. He got out of the water in a hurry and no more than 15 seconds later, there a was another couple feet of water were he had been standing and it was moving! Awareness is very important when fishing those mountain streams when storms are around.

I'm sure that there are some great stories about good fishing in bad weather, large fish caught, close calls with lightning, or any other foul-weather related stories. How about some more stories?

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Bad Weather Fishin'

Whenever I think about fishing in bad weather, I think of the early spring I went to Toledo to fish the walleye run with my buddy, Dave.
The weather turned nasty overnite and we awoke to near freezing temps and sleet and rain blowing sideways off Lake Erie.
We were wading and fishing just off the bottom with big bullet sinkers and I foul hooked a big walleye. It ran downstream and broke off when it rolled on the surface. The sinker came zipping back and hit me in the face between my nose and lip. We went on fishing for a while and decided to go get some coffee and warm up in the truck. We spoke to several other anglers as well as the fish and game guys at the snack hut and got in the truck to fire up the heater. When I looked in the rearview I had blood all over the side of my face from the "bullet wound". It had been so cold and the fishing so good I hadn't noticed a thing. When I asked him, "Why didn't you say something before we got up here amongst all these other people?" Dave said, "Well, Bill, it didn't bother me."
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Christmas day 2002(I think)--went to lynn prong--at about 10 am it began to snow a little--then,it was as though Santa turned on the snow machine--The snowfall was so dense that you could hardly see 6 ft in any direction-It lasted about 45 minutes--dumped over 6 inches of snow--the dull gray of the winter forest was transformed into a fresh winter wonderland--it had a postcard look--the clouds parted--the sun came out--blue sky and all--the snow crystals caught and magnified the sunlight--I was a guest in woods draped with,what looked to brilliant white snow laced with diamonds--It was surreal and beautiful-and very Christmas-ie--Don't think I caught any fish--fishing weighted nymph on bottom--water was a little high--a great day--that afternoon made myself go back to Gatlinburg--The sun was out--most businesses were closed--there was a lull in the storm of visitors because of Xmas--no snow here in the lowlands--temperature about 60F--felt a little special because I saw how good Christmas can be--Now,tell me you don't believe in Santa Claus--
Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 PM

Those are some great stories! Sworp, I can only imagine what those other people were thinking when they saw your face covered in blood. You probably generated some really good stories . Lauxier, I got to fish while it was snowing last year and it is really a magical time to be on the water. I would love to be on one of those mountain streams during a good snowstorm like that. It would be incredible I'm sure. Thanks for sharing!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 09-24-2006, 04:47 PM

Plateau Angler---Earlier that year--Along with my brother and sisters,we buried our Mom--I tried to escape the grief of the 1st Xmas without parents--Was depressed--Cannot run from grief--it follows--The Xmas day snow got me back on my feet--when I left the park--i realized the nature of nature is healing to us humans,because it is constant,and as we look to the constant to guide us,we find,the loss of beloved parents is followed by a newly defined parentage--I saw her Xmas Day 2002----Mother Nature----
Old 09-24-2006, 07:03 PM

Lauxier,

That is a powerful story! Have you thought about writing it up as a short story? I think it would be a very good read and would probably reach a lot of people. The healing power of nature is incredible. When I have faced difficult times in my life, I always try to get away into nature, even if it is for an hour or two. Thanks again for sharing!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 AM

lauxier.....wonderful story that makes one think.... I also lost my mother when she was only 52. It seems when I need recharged I find solitude in nature just sitting and listening to the leaves rustle and at those times the good memories show up....and I believe she is there......not the only reason I like the outdoors, but it is a comforting part....

Good fishing &
God Bless
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 PM

Bad weather fishin' is usually cold,wet,miserable,the water is wetter,the cold goes to the bone,makes you wet and cold to the bone--no fish action to speak of--just numb fingers,and chapped cheeks--my question ---WHY IS IT SO MUCH FUN?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM

hey Lauxier....tthe answer to your question is "because it is not work"

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-25-2006, 06:11 PM

I was fishing a high country lake in Arizona during the fall a couple of years ago. *The wind was blowing, there was some snow/sleet and even some lightning. *I was working very hard to cast in winds that were probably gusting 20-30 miles an hour or more and started to wonder why I was out there in such miserable weather. *Then I caught a big cutt that took off probably 30 yards on the first run. *I had already broke off on other large fish on the hookset. *Didn't seem so cold anymore....