Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-02-2006, 01:03 PM

Default trip report

whisperer sez: i finally had a chance to visit your part of the country last week for some hiking and fishing. on tuesday, i drove up pretty far in the tremont area, but the stream was very fast and difficult to wade. i did manage to land 4 rainbows. it didn't rain that night, so on wednesday, i went to the little river at metcalf bottoms. this was a good day - landed 17 rainbows and 1 brown. everything i got was by high sticking a 14 dry fly down through the pocket water behind the rocks over in the middle of the river. that night it rained off and on all night long. so on thursday, i thought i'd take a drive over to greenbrier. the stream was in pretty good shape so i fished for a while until i had a close encounter with mr. black bear. he was just standing on a rock behind me watching me fish. hard to tell how long he'd been there or what he would have done if i had hooked one while he was there. anyway, after putting a little distance between me and the bear, i did manage to make enough noise that he *decided to go play somewhere else. and i decided that i would go back to the car for some lunch. while doing that, it occurred to me that fishing that morning hard been kinda slow - only 5 fish. so, i decided to give it a try up a blue line stream just down the road from where i was parked. that was a real treat. by the time i quit when i started hearing thunder, i had caught over 20 small rainbows. i believe i could have gotten into some specs if i had gone higher, but i didn't want to get caught in a down pour. everything on that creek was caught on a 16 ehc.

it was a treat to visit the fly shop and pick up some items. my wife and i both really enjoyed being in townsend away from the commercialized tourist trap environment. i hope i can get back your way again soon.

regards, TW
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Re: trip report

TW,
Thanks for the report. I have never made it over to Greenbrier.
Other than having a bear critique my fishing, it sounds like a nice diversion. *

How far is it from the Elkmont campground?

Thanks

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-02-2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the report! I fished at Greenbrier for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had a great time but didn't see any bears myself. I have yet to see one while fishing but I've seen lots other times.

Justfishing, it took me about 20 minutes driving fast to get from Elkmont to Greenbrier early in the morning before Gatlinburg became congested. It took much longer coming back through all that traffic.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-02-2006, 02:22 PM

PA,

Thanks. We're headed up this weekend. The traffic doesn't bother me as much as the amount of people fishing. Is Greenbrier heavily fished on the weekends?

Thanks,

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-02-2006, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had a great time in the park.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Justfishing,
There were several people fishing along the road. I started fishing upstream from the end of the road and fished over a mile without getting behind other people. I believe a couple of guys had hiked farther up. There is plenty of fishable water so even if there are a lot of people, you can find some solitude. I definately recommend hiking though...

Good luck and post a report when you get back. I'll be back up to the Smokies in a couple of weeks myself!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com