Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Default clinch river fish, what is it?

while fishing the Clinch this morning, I came across a fish that I had never seen before. It was in the shallows just above the prison, near what seems to be a breakwater that comes out into the river. I was wading around when I saw a large gray shadow, it was near the bottom, I threw a few casts up stream of it, hoping to get a rise, but no luck. It was about 12 to 16 inches in length, the color was an unremarkable gray and had large scales. It seemed to just stick close to the bottom and fed there.
It kicked up silt when it fed. Any ideas? :-?
I was able to catch and release a couple of small Rainbows on a beadhead prince. 8-)
Old 09-16-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: clinch river fish, what is it?

Most likely a carp. And a very small one at that.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Most likely a carp. *And a very small one at that.
Without a picture it's hard to tell but, going by your observation of large scales and stirring up sediment when it fed I would agree with RFowler's opinion.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:10 PM

sounds like it could be a black drum. was its back arched up quite a bit (humped)?

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 09-17-2006, 05:30 PM

based on the carp answer, i looked up some pics of TN carp and it is just that. Thanks. When I ran into these, I tried to get its attention with a variety of flies, but w/o success. do they go after flies? :-?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:37 PM

I have fished the Clinch the past 7 weekends and have seen some humongeous carp in the slack water. I saw 8-10 yesterday sucking up goop from the bottom. If you're ever able to get one of those big boys, and I mean in the 10-25 lb range to take a fly, hope you have an exceptional drag and at least 150 yds of backing! They are definitely the strongest fresh water fish I've ever had on!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Waterborn taught me a good lesson a few years ago: Forked tail=carp , square tail=trout. I caught a 16-18" one a few years ago by the jail, took forever to get it in to get it off the fly. Took a zebra midge if I remember correctly. Thinking back, I wish I would have just broken it off, YUK! :-/ I've also seen them jump all around and over trout as I was bring the trout to the net, not sure what that was about :-?.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Nasy is right

My 9 yo and I hooked a 4 lb carp at the lake one day...when I got it out of the water it had "slimed" the last 9 inched of line and my son started gagging.....I have no desire to catch carp
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 PM

That's alright, you wimps can leave them to me. I look at carp as a gamefish. They get huge, they're spooky and smart, and as psnapp points out, fight like the dickens. Stick a 30+ pounder and you will change your mind. Reminds me of the walleye fisherman out on the Missouri river in South Dakota. Unkown to them, they would stick a smallmouth and have a blast until they could see it. Then they would say "it's just a smallmouth". I enjoy all the little fishes.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:01 PM

Im with you RFowler. Carp are like fresh water redfish. Good for one blistering run and then a bulldogging fight. Find a mud flat and throw some small woolybuggers at them. You might change your mind.
They are not too much to look at compared to a trout, and the mouth is downright homely, but no teeth and really not as slimy as a trout, particularly a brookie!
Best,