Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Actually I do a lot of backpacking miles off the roads and can still hear the motorcycles you guys are talking about there. If you think you can escape it going into the backcountry you are sadly mistaken. Maybe right next to a roaring stream but walk a few hundred yards away or hike a ridge top and you will hear them plain as day. Lots of times its just the sound of the wind, a stream in the hollow below, and some fool on an unmufflered bike 4 miles away who thinks he is a big man and needs attention with his loud bike. I think they should fine the **** out of those idiots.
I agree! If I should drive my jeep with open headers it will be a guranteed ticket. If I am not mistaken there is already a law for overly loud bikes and vehicles, sadly it is not enforced for the loud blapping harleys. Adam is correct about the noise in the back country, unless you are in an isolated valley or hollow somewhere, the noise will still filter through the trees and across the water.

I don't agree with the statement loud pipes save lives either, most cars today are so quiet inside that the drivers don't hear the loud pipes coming and can barley hear them passing by as long as the windows aren't down. Ever notice how many drivers don't hear the sirens approaching? While in the jeep with the top off it can be really annoying alot of times, my son has acute hearing and those that go charging by just don't realize the pain that they are causing him. I have friends and relatives that think that it is funny that someone covers there ears while they pass them.

I am not trying to poke a stick in anyone's eye but it would be nice if the decible level was enforced. as an ending note, I used to have 5 bikes to ride at any given time and one of them were eyeball shaking loud. A little courtesy would be nice.

Vincent
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

motorcyclists love to blame cars for their crashes, as they pass in no passing zones, drive crazy fast, do stupid stunts, and **** ill even add park where ever they want. Bikers should be extra careful, THEY chose to drive the dangerous vehicle, not us car and tuck drivers. Cannot stand bikers. Wild Hogs! Banker by day, hells angel by night... rediculous
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM

And the noise doesn't always subside once the kickstands are down. Three drunk bikers ruined my overnight stay at Cosby Campground recently. They returned to their site near mine at 11 at night and after 2 hours of full throated cussing and threats of whoop a**, they finally passed out in, or near, their pup tents.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-06-2011 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Deleted the name of the state.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 PM

"I don't agree with the statement loud pipes save lives either, most cars today are so quiet inside that the drivers don't hear the loud pipes coming and can barley hear them passing by as long as the windows aren't down. Ever notice how many drivers don't hear the sirens approaching?"

I didn't say that in my post so you heard it elsewhere! And since most cars are that quiet, people who drive them will have a tendency to pull out in front of a bike without looking because they either have no idea they are there or are not looking.

"motorcyclists love to blame cars for their crashes,"

Maybe, but it's a statistically proven fact by thousands of police accident reports every year.

"as they pass in no passing zones, drive crazy fast, do stupid stunts, and **** ill even add park where ever they want."

You're one hundred percent right but not all bikers do this, and I've seen car drivers do the very same things!

"Bikers should be extra careful, THEY chose to drive the dangerous vehicle, not us car and tuck drivers."

I for one am as careful as I can be, but I can not control the careless actions of others. But guess what, the people who ride bikes also drive cars and trucks. And as far as the bike being the dangerous vehicle, I'd say you've got that one backwards. Just because you may be the biggest vehicle on the road does not mean you own the road and have all the rights to the road. With that kind of attitude, now who's the one that is dangerous?

"Cannot stand bikers. Wild Hogs! Banker by day, hells angel by night... ridiculous."

That one speaks for its bigoted self!

"And the noise doesn't always subside once the kickstands are down."

No, in some cases it doesn't! But that is a people mentality problem which can not be attributed to everyone who rides a bike. Why lump all bikers into the same pot?

Use your same argument logic for fisherman, campers, and hikers who litter and destroy nature and see how you come out on that one. I don't think you'd like being lumped into that group, would you? Then why are you doing so to all bikers? Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Whitefeather
Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 AM

Whitefeather, I didn't say that you had made a statement about loud pipes saving lives. I have heard the comment from different bikers and I have even seen a few vehicles sporting a bumper sticker stating the same. I was just trying to show the mentallity of alot of bike riders that I have made the comment.

A motorcycle can be hard to spot in traffic and even on clear country roads the visual cue of a bike won't always registar with some drivers. Yes it is a spooky, scary feeling taking evasive action to keep from plowing a vehicle. I know, I have been there and could almost count the bugs on the front of the car or truck.

It doesn't matter what vehicle is on the road, driving and riding is a pleasurable experience and also a dangerous proposition.

Vincent
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM

steamnsteel,

Okay, no problem then!

Looking back I think automotive technology, while being good in many ways, has in many ways, made things bad on the road. People just don't seem to be as attentive as they were years ago. The technology tends to distract us or make us lazy and relegate us to our own little "tunnel visioned" world if we let it.

I used to drive tractor trailers for a living also. Seen a lot of craziness out on the road. Stories I could tell most people would not even believe.

For someone on a bike to do some of the stupid things that were mentioned and believe me, I've seen them too, is suicidal. Some riders are just asking for it and one day may get their wish.

Getting creamed by another vehicle just isn't my idea of a peaceful way to "check out."

Driving is said to be a privilege, not a right. That's true, but I also see it as a grave responsiblity which could have life altering or life ending consequences if not taken seriously.

"Ride to live, live to ride!" says it all!

Whitefeather
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
"...
"And the noise doesn't always subside once the kickstands are down."

No, in some cases it doesn't! But that is a people mentality problem which can not be attributed to everyone who rides a bike. Why lump all bikers into the same pot?
My apologies, whitefeather, I can see your point and have since deleted the name of the state the guys were from. And I would have been upset had they arrived in a minivan that late and that drunk.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-06-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM

I, too, really dislike the whole loud pipe thing. It seems to have become the fad in the past 10 or so years. I don't remember bikers punching the baffles out years ago.

I had a bike for a couple years but finally realized I wanted some steel between me and whatever may hit.

In addition to excessively loud pipes, there are just far too many weekend warriors on the bikes these days. They take the test, get a license, and ride their bikes 10 or so weekends out of the year. I see a lot of stupid on bikes and much of it is because of inexperience and a bike that's far too big/powerful for their experience level.

You're not going to be giving a Ferrari 458 to a person who just got a driver's license (well, if you're an oil millionaire or drug kingpin maybe). Why does a guy with a couple hundred hours biking experience think he's safe on a big hog bike? Crazy.

Last summer, I saw 2 bikes on their sides on the same day. It was raining and both bikers carried too much speed into the turns. One was on Little River Road below Elkmont, and one was on 441 just below Chimney's picnic area. Fortunately, both parties (man/woman each bike) were wearing helmets and from what I saw, other than some road rash and a scratched up / dented bike, nothing was hurt outside of the ego.

I'm not anti-bike. They are fun and I had fun on mine. However, I am very much against loud pipes and very much in favor of common sense.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Jeff,

First of all I agree with you!

I don't know about other states, but in Indiana, it has been a requirement for a long time that a person has to take and pass a certified motorcycle course before getting a license (endorsement) to ride a motorcycle. Many of us old timers were "grandfathered" to receive an endorsement if we wanted it. The course isn't cheap and its pretty comprehensive. But all that proves is a person can manage to ride safely within the confines of a closed course setting, not actual highway or street conditions, and certainly not with a safe guarantee.

After over fifty years of riding I don't even go out ten weekends a year, mainly for two reasons. It's getting too darn dangerous and I usually have more important things to attend to. But its nice to get on the bike on a Sunday evening after all the tourist traffic goes home and take a relaxing (but mentally exhausting) cruise.

Loud pipes was at one time a big issue here as I live in the southern part of the state and we have a lot of tourists, especially in the fall months. At one time back a number of years ago we had a "bikers rally" called the Bean Blossom Boogie, stage at our drag strip every third week of July, about one mile from my house in the country. 35,000 motorcycle enthusiasts would descend on us and clog all our back roads with mayhem and noise, 24 hours a day. One year there eight motorcycle fatalities during the two week period.

The first couple of years everyone was up in arms about it, including law enforcement, until they started seeing the bottom line on their income statements from all the money that was being spent by the bikers. The sanctioning club would also drop off a check to local charities from donations collected statewide by the bikers and fund raising events they organized. The checks were on the order of $250,000 to $270,000 each. To my knowledge the noise abatement ordinance was never levied against a loud bike, except in a case when it was deliberate over and over nonsense from a drunk. But they did enforce it against teenagers with loud thumping car stereos.

When the club bought their own land in another adjoining county, the biker fest moved out for good, along with all their money. The howling and gnashing of teeth and agony over the loss of income from the county merchants and county government, who had originally spearheaded the protest in the first place was enormous and the crying went on for a year afterward.

My point is we all have to live in this world and try to get along, although our current geography seems to be getting more and more crowded, with more and more obnoxious attitudes.

Money talks and unfortunately, too many times it drowns out reason and common sense. After having lived through over eighteen years of loud motorcycle noise two to three times every summer within a mile of my home, I learned to "tune it out". If a person can do that, its the best first defense I can think of.

We are always going to be surrounded by obnoxious, selfish, and discourteous people. Unfortunately there were times down in the park that I was just about ready to leave the campground early to get away from them. I decided that I was going to "refuse to be" their victim by giving up what little time I had to spend in the Smokies. And in the mountains it always sounds really bad, especially if you are fishing the Luftee right on 441 or Little River on the other side of the park. My bones vibrated more than once as I tried to fly fish. Sometimes it sounds like the starting line at a drag strip. With but one poor aggravated looking Park Ranger, parked in his car trying to do something about it.

I am very sensitive to this issue, having spent nearly 20 years in the fallout of "gun barrel" politics in my county because of it.

Whitefeather
Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM

I, too, have fished close to roads and heard the two-wheelers before they came into sight. I find it distracting at best and can't understand why someone would want to ruin their hearing. I had a motorcycle back in the early 60's. Took 19 years for the scars to go away. Wait- I was only going about 5 mph and slid in some pea gravel after letting a car go by on the circle by our house. Still haven't figured out exactly what happened. Now.....too many cars on the road for my comfort. Sold my bass boat 5 or 6 years ago because of too many boats on the water. No one knows the rules for watercraft. In closing, I think a noise ordinance would be extremely hard to enforce, given the number of staff at the GSMNP or any park for that matter.