Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Opinions on Sunglasses

I am looking for a nice pair of polarized sunglasses. Right now I am seriously considering either a pair of Costa Del Mar or Smith Action Optics. What are the rest of you out there wearing?

Also, do you think spending over $115 is justified? I mean, they might not be the most stylish or well built, but Bass Pro has several pairs of polarized glasses for around $20. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Opinions on Sunglasses

From experience, i can definitely say that there is a difference. I have a pair of action optics that i just bought this year, i think it's the vector frame. Anyways, i love them and can't recommend them enough. I have also heard good things about costa del mar, but i believe they are more expensive. I would splurge on the more expensive brands such as action optics unless money is a major concern for you. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 PM

I have owned two pair of high end sunglasses ( i consider high end to be anything over a seventy five to a hundred dollars). *My first pair was Maui Jim Sport sunglasses with polarized lenses. *I wore those things straight for two years and loved them. *I spend alot of time on the water during the summer, either fishing or at my cabin riding around in the boat and always thought that even though they did not seem to be a very dark lense that they provided great relief from the sun during almost all lighting conditions. *The only down side to the Maui Jim Sports are that they are not made for really rough use. *I felt though sometimes I would gett something caught on them and really was suprised that they did not break apart. *So a plus would be their craftmanship and also their lightweight.

The second pair that I own is a Costa Del Mar Fathoms with the blue mirror lenses. *I bought this pair this past summer and LOVE them. *They are so comfortable and light weight and really feel, compared to the Maui Jims, that they can take any abuse that I can throw at them. *I find that they block alot of the light that used to come in the sides and top of the Maui Jims because they fit better on your face. *I find that they allow you to see into the water better than any of my previous glasses or that my friends have had as well. *I love these glasses and wear them all the time, I find my self wearing them even when its not that bright outside just because even though they are great at blocking the sun when its almost blinding without sunglasses that the lenses somehow allow you to wear them even when its cloudy or getting dusky dark. *

I had a real problem shelling out the money for the Costas (the Maui Jims were a birthday present) but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for with some things and will own a pair until I find something that fits my needs better, which I think is going to be hard to do. *I do suggest buying a pair of Chums or someother brand of strap to help keep from losing them or dropping them in the water. *I find that having the Chums just helps me take better care of them. * On a side note the mirror finish on the Costas allows you to check girls out during the summer on the lake, or walking around campus without them ever knowing.....just throwing that out there. *sorry for the rambling.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Also, do you think spending over $115 is justified? *I mean, they might not be the most stylish or well built, but Bass Pro has several pairs of polarized glasses for around $20. *Any thoughts? Thanks!
My question to everyone is, what do you think your eyes are worth? I've always worn more expensive shades because i've spent the majority of my time outdoors, whether enjoying it or working construction.
I think every member of my family has worn glasses & currently wears glasses.
I'm approaching the big FIVE-O & still have 20/20, although i have had to resort to reading glasses to tie flies, read & put flies on small tippet, at my Optometrist recommendation.
I currently have the AO Guide glasses, i'm really wanting a pair of 580 Costa's, they are lighter & the lenses seem way easier on my eyes in direct sunlight.
Yep, i'm not sure what i'd do w/o my eyes.

Grumpy

Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 AM

Personally, I am very protective of my eyes, and don't mind paying a little extra for the improved optics and UV protection. There are numerous types of sunglasses but for flyfishing, I personally prefer the HVO glass lensed sunglasses. The majority of sunglasses are made with polycarbonate or CR lenses. Plastic lenses only allow about 91% filtered light to penetrate. Glass lenses on the other hand allow about 96% of light in making it easier to see through the water and around. Given the advances in lens grinding, there is not an issue with the weight difference either. Related to this topic, what color of lenses does everyone choose to wear. I have the reflective blue but also amber. Does anyone else have a color preference?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I now feel more comfortable investing in a quality pair. I think I'm going to go with the Costa Fathoms. I still need to decide if I want the amber or the green mirror (glass) lenses. From what I have read online, lens color is very important and amber is a good color for the Smokies.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:24 PM

I like the brown or copper lenses for the trout streams, actually a yellow set would be my preference in the mountains( to many colors/not enough$). The green lenses are great on lakes or salt conditions.

Grumpy
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought the Costa Del Mar Fathoms today. I got the ones with the amber lenses. Can't wait to try these out this weekend on the Clinch.