Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 PM

Default bad weather fishin' 2

A few weeks ago--the kind folks at LRO sold my nephew a 8'6" 5wt-fast action rod--made in Montana--I gave him a Orvis Battenkill Reel--and I bought the rod for him(birthday stuff)--he doesn't say much,but is very intelligient--went to Yale and Stanford--presentlly teaching at U of Kentucky at the engineering school--he was quiet,a thinker............he could not believe LRO--"I love that place"--THAT WAS THEN--THIS IS NOW----
He(JT) has bought 2 more rods--he practices casting ,nights ,rain or shine.He calls every day asking about casts,flys,LRO,the weather,streams,SMNP,trout,guides,streams,LRO,fly tying,flies,roads of SMNP,Maps of SMNP,Women of SMNP,Townsend,LRO,Business hours of LRO(when are they open?)Are Brookies hard to catch?The LRO website--wants to learn--will learn--the website,the sport,hatches,leaders,tippits.--has a large stack of fly fishing books stacked,most have been read,in front of a TV, long since turned off.
So there you go LRO--you've really done it this time.IT HAS BECOME AN OBSESSION.He is going to love fly fishing.He will probably be around the shop quite often--Have to say he is a pretty good chap--Won't lie to you unless he has too--If you have any questions--feel free to call me LAuxier at 1-BR-549.Will be in Townnsend next weekend for fly fishing.JT may or may not be with me--His last words-----"hope it rains,or snows,so I can try out some of my stuff.(rain gear?)--BAD WEATHER FISHIN' 2( a report from a uncle,answering questions,envious of the virgin feelings and frustrations,that fill the tenderfoot fly fisherman.One day,a stream,that may be closeto Townsend,held tightly ,under a canopy of life,by the Park that has tracked us for so long,will stalk JT.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: bad weather fishin' 2

Lauxier,
Great to hear about your nephew? I moved here from Ky, graduated from UK! The only thing wrong with Louisville (and the rest of the state) is that they don't have the Smokies or Trout !.....save for the Cumberland. My brother in law is kind of like your nephew, quiet computer guy; wanted to try fly-fishing one year while visiting, caught one fish that day (as I recall) but was hooked. I think he may be more into it than I am these days. It takes us to beautiful places and there are so many variables that you can never completely figure it out!
Best,
Old 09-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Lauxier

The way I remember it is that a very generous uncle bought the really sweet rod made in Montana * for his nephew. *We are so happy to have been such a small part of his new *obsession*! *Seems to me like you deserve much of the credit (blame *8-) ) for his new passion.

It is customers like you, and stories like this, that keep us going! *We totally love it when someone well and truly *catches the bug*! *

Thank you for your great story and your wonderful comments about LRO...we hang on every word...all the while striving to be better for you!

Paula
Old 09-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Luxier,

Thanks for the kind words about our shop. I remember when you came in to buy that rod though I didn't meet you. Paula said you are from Kentucky. I grew up in Richmond or actually out in Madison County near Boonesborough. I started fly fishing in ponds for bluegill and bass back in 1962. How I got down here and in this business is a long story but it's good to have people from the Bluegrass State visit the shop. Look me up next time you are here.

JSwitow,

John, I forgot you were from Kentucky. Thanks for your active input on the board. Your insight and experience is greatly appreciated.

Byron