Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Don't Ask, Don't Tell????

Ditto to what 18 said.

Thanks.

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-06-2006, 09:59 AM

I am a local TU member and having participated in stream count surveys over the years, I can tell you yhat there really are a lot of fish in these waters. I believe the biologist estimate 3000 per mile in the little river alone. This includes all trout and other species as well. (EX: chubs, Daces etc..) With over 700 miles of streams inside the GSMNP alone (not all fishable) one can definitely find some solitude with some planning. I agree the most accessable waters are getting more crowded especially on weekends but most experienced fly fishermen are curteous to each other and enjoy teaching and showing others new places and techniques. Im sure there are a lot of people on this board who would really like to meet and fish with others who share this same passion for fly fishing as me. Remember back when you started and why.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:00 PM

I live in fla,about a 30 min. drive to p.c. beach. Mackeral and blues are running right now.Had a buddy call and said he would take me to his honey hole. People were litterally elbow to elbow. When you would cast your rod tip would hit the person behind you and your elbow would hit the person next to you if you weren't careful. On the river and creek where I fish for bream I have seen on a regular basis people catch coolers full of fish just to give away. You all have a long way to go before you are over populated with people. When I ask my buddies to go fishing with me up there the fish are too small and you have to walk to much.. What you have is special and it takes a special type of person to app. it. The people who read a web site and come up there to fish a hot spot will either learn that we don't fish there to catch a cooler full of fish or will become discouraged with it. This web site has told me some of the good places to fish, it has also taught me things like catch and release, I also know that some of you maybe any where at any time upthere and I better not get caught littering by one of you. the latter two would probly not sink in if it wasn,t for the first. I thank you all for helping me find those special places but for also teaching me to respect them. You can,t stop more people from coming in the park, but you can guide them in the right direction. which would you rather see a fisherman in your best spot on a day you were going to fish it picking up a empty coke can he found or some one who dosen't fish at all driving to cades cove throwing out that coke can? You can't stop either of them from coming but the latter ain't reading this web site!!!!!!!Don't ask ,Don't tell works both ways .YOu locals are the keepers of the gate,and from what I see are doing a fine job, thanks!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM

In response to lauxier, and his 17 million visitors. I am sure fishing pressure will increase, but most of those visitors will be drive by and say the roughed it and saw a bear folks. You know I was talking to someone the other day who has been going tp Gatlinburg with 24 other members of her family ofr the last 16 years, and they have never even been in the park. I wouldn't write the fishing off as ruined yet.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Numbers of flyfishermen and women are down nationally. The flyshop owners and the outfitters who follow the industry trends (certainly LRO) can tell you this. Many of the young people are into extreme sports rather than ours.
As for posting on these boards; the readership is relatively small and (I bet) 90% of us arc C&R fishermen.
I will agree that Tremont hasn't fished nearly as well as it did when the road was closed and you had to walk, you know what though? I haven't fished Tremont in a couple of years, so I really have no idea how Tremont is fishing currently. As for the rest; the fish are there, numbers fluctuate with the weather/water.
The Park Service claims a 65% mortality rate annually just because of weather. If anything is causing a decline in the fishery it is the otters, though they are seldom seen.
I have been known to run off someone thinking about fishing right on top of me or trying to walk into a hole right above me. I have vowed to try and be friendly to the next person who seems to want to approach............as long as they don't then start fishing the hole above me!
Best,

I typically give someone at least 200 yards, if I see them before I get in.
I say be glad we have so much public water, there are countries where you could only look at the creek unless you were a member of the privileged class, or you would have to take classes for a couple of years to get certified to fish! What a hoot, I guess they're afraid someone is going to get out there and make a mess of things.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:22 PM

arkansas traveler--Good post--you are right,exactly right.90 something percent of visitors coming to the Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg-Dollywood--Factory Outlet-region of the Smokey Mountains are not fisherman.I did not mean to sound like I was throwing in the towel--in fact fishing on 2006 seems to be improving--much better than say in the late 70's.--I suppose the biggest issue facing the Park when and if the number of visitors increase is trash.I don't think we will see elbow to elbow ffishing on Little River anytime soon'.I do think roadsides providing easy access to trout streams will see increased pressure--and once again the trash issue comes up--Red Lodge,Montana,answered littering with large fines that are enforced,city hall dares visitors to be seen throwing a cigareete butt down.Like it or not,once the word gets around that SMNP rangersand true-blue locals will report littering ending in large fines(wheather you have the money to pay or not)then you see see folks think twice before throwing junk out of a car.