Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Smoky Mountain Grand Slam

I caught all three species of trout available in the park today, well Brook Trout is not really a trout it's a char. I caught the brookie twenty yards from the main stream I was fishing in a small tributary. Do you all consider this a true slam? Just wondering because otherwise I have to redo it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Smoky Mountain Grand Slam

Hans,

You got the slam! Congratulations!

Paula
Old 10-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Thanks Paula!

Now I guess I should try to redoe it by getting all three in the same stream.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM

Hans, you and Paula are wrong. *A true slam is catching all three species out of the same HOLE. *i thought everyone already knew that I guess you'll just have to keep trying
Old 10-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Russ!

Man you are tough

Anyway, sorry I haven't been able to fish with you this summer/fall. Did you make it to WV? If so did you get to fish any?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:33 AM

I drove 901.3 miles to WV and fished for 3 hours :-/. I expected a stream like the french broad or something but it was exactly like the Tellico. i did manage to catch and release an 16 or 18" brown. I was using a rooster tail and a spinning rod. I hooked another one that was even bigger but he threw my hooks after he bent two hooks on a treble hook . Dad and his buddy didn't bring anything to hand but they hooked a couple. i did see a 30" + fish jump out of the water about 10' from me. it scared the willikers out of me. Next time i go, i'll bring the fly rod and see what i can do. I don't like fishing a stream with a spinning rod and rooster tails. it's too hard to cast up stream and make the lure work correctly.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 PM

A Slam in Saltwater (Keys style) is just catching A Bone, A Permit and a Tarpon- period. Guide will run all over the place to get the third if the client gets the first two. I had a guide tell me that I had gotten a "High Country Slam"- Rainbow- "Pure" Cutthroat out of the lake and the Brookie out of the feeder stream. I've never heard of the same hole- just same body of water. :-/
What have you others heard??
Old 10-11-2006, 08:59 AM

I was just giving tennswede a hard time about catching them out of the same hole. My guess is that would be pretty unlikely. I personally think that if you catch all three, whenever, then you've got the slam. A really, really good slam is catching all three on the same day. An even better slam is catching all three from the same stream, in one day. I'd have to say that catching all three, from the same stream, on the same day would be the ultimate slam. I've never caught all three from the same stream on the same day but i've gotten the other ones I've mentioned. (except for all 3 from the same hole)
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM

This is the first time I have responded on this message board but I have been reading it for the last few months. I just had to respond to the Smokey Mountain Grand Slam. I know there will be doubters, but I did achieve a slam in the same hole! It happened two years ago on Caldwell Fork about a mile upstream from the campground. I had just landed a nice brown when my daughter came up beside me.
On my next cast I caught a nice rainbow! I told her I wanted to make one more cast under an overhanging rock and low and behold a beautiful brookie inhaled the fly! The brown and the brookie both were in full mating colors. There had been very high water a few weeks before we got there so maybe the brookies had been pushed down low because I caught a few more down low.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 AM

I believe you. The are has brookies higher up and it is possible with high water that they migrated down a little ways. Good job.