Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Smoky Mountain Grand Slam

Allright tennswede, there you go. The challenge has been presented before you. Will you accept it?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 AM

Russ!

Okay, It involves a roundtrip of 13.5 miles (walking) or driving over to Cattaloochee area and that is a 2.5 hours one way driving. I guess walking is the healthier and better alternative. When are you ready to go?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 AM

I'll be ready for the hike in about a month. Grouse season opens this weekend, and I'll probably feel like I've hiked that far after Saturday .

Lets plan it for next spring. i don't like fishing in the winter because i feel guilty about being in the woods without my dog. :-/
Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Saw 3 grouse yesterday while fishing.

Kyle
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Saw 3 grouse yesterday while fishing.

Kyle
Where, where, where?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM

russ

I flushed 3 while on the early season hog/deer hunt in the bear reserve 2 weeks ago. They were by the old fire tower at Farr Gap. If I remember correctly, I've seen them in the road close to the same place a couple years ago. Must be something in the area that they like.

Buzz
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 AM

I'm somewhat familiar with the area. * I've been around Kirland Creek, and all over that area. *Where is Farr Gap? *What stream is it close to. *I've got good topo maps of the area but i didn't see it on them. *I also need to figure out where this bear reserve is. *I bet I'm not supposed to be in there during a hunt

Oh ya, sorry to hijack this thread fellers. But if I've got someone telling me where some birds are I've got to follow up on it anyway i can
Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Hi. I've been reading this board for a couple years (usually check in to see what's going on before my next trip down from Kentucky). I've been fishing the Smokies for 25 years off and on. It is possible to catch all three from the same hole. Been There, Done That. I'm betting I could do it again if asked to. No, I 'm not telling where.

Ya'll have a good one.
Denver
Old 10-13-2006, 12:18 PM

Russ,

Its on the Whiteoaks Flat Quad topo map. The bear reserve is mainly the Citico Creek Wilderness area and some surrounding area. If you take doublecamp creek road to the top, Farr Gap is the hiking/horse trail that goes south along the top of the ridge. If you stay on the road a short ways, the old fire tower will be on the right hand side. There is a gated road that goes to it, but, it is only 100 yards off the main road. You had better read the regulations about hunting South Cherokee-Tellico Unit (Pg 27 of the booklet). I think if you drop off the ridge to the north, you are out of the bear reserve and small game hunting with dogs is permitted. However, I've never been 100% sure of the exact boundary lines for it. I'll be there next weekend on another hog/deer hunt, I'll try to remember to get Lat./Long. coordinates with my GPS for you.

Another spot I see alot of grouse is in the Foothills WMA. I deer/bear hunt on the Six Mile side and flush several grouse along the powerline cut every year. Especially at one certain low spot on the south side before the climbing gets rough. Scares the snot out of me everytime they take off.

Good luck wherever you go this weekend. I'll keep you informed of any more sightings.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Wow, thanks Buzz-saw. A guy couldn't ask for anything more, endless you wanted to try pointing for me just in case my dog wont do it very well toimorrow :-/. I'll check into those spots and might give it a try tomorrow.

As far as Foothills WMA goes. i've been there once, and hiked up the road along the power lines but it is pretty hard going and it was hot that day. Plus I had to walk a LONG way down someone's driveway just to get there so maybe I was in the wrong access spot.