Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Default South Holson Trip In the works

I was planning on taking a trip to the South Holston at the end of Oct first of Nov. This will be my first trip up so I could use some help on fly selection as well as where and when to fish. Are there any fly shops around worth visiting while we are in the area. This wont be a float trip although I'd love to take one even down the Clinch while generating. Any help on times, spots, or adding to the fly arsonal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Fishermansfly
Old 10-07-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: South Holson Trip In the works

Fishermansfly, I just got back from a trip up there and it was quiet an unusual day. We walked down the river as a pulse was beginning and while the water was running a beautiful Sulfur hatch started taking place. The water started churning and big browns were everywhere feeding like crazy along with the rainbows. We managed five browns in not more than 10-15 casts and a few rainbows. These were all nice fish. As soon as the water started dropping, the fish became more selective and smaller. It was great to see so many Sulfurs hatching off this late in the season. We haven't been quiet so fortunate this year with the hatches as in past years. They sure do something to those big browns.
The usual flies were Sulfur Compara Duns, CDC Softhackle Emergers, and Blackbird Deerhair Emergers. Long leaders and good casts with proper mending is the order of the day. It's tough to fool the fish in those long glassy slicks. Try broken water. As for the, where did we fish---Somewhere, below the dam. I'll be back up there tomorrow and maybe I can help a little more.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: South Holson Trip In the works

we were up there the first weekend of oct.had a great time.all our fishing was done the first couple of miles below the weir dams.there is a road off the soho dam road called tva south road or something like that.if you go to the end there is a trail that leads off to the right and will lead you to the river below the bridge.fishing was good from there down to the next bend.look for deeper runs to nymph fish,and dry fish in the shallow water.i fished a small midge emerger(red or olive)behind some of the grass islands with good action.fish it on top drifting or strip it in short quick strips after they get tired of it on top.this worked after the sun got up.in the early morn,a sz.10 olive woolly bugger worked good til the sun popped over the trees.gotta get back to work.PM me if you need more info
dalefish