Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Fishing around Asheville

Going to be in Asheville for a conference the last weekend this month. Would like recommendations for a half-day fishing nearby. I have fished the Davidson once and did okay. Any recommendations appreciated.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Fishing around Asheville

Dawgvet,
Try the North Mills River. It's a DH river.Small. Coming from Asheville, its not far past the airport. About four to five miles off the main road.

mstone
Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Dawgvet,

I would also agree that the North Mills is a good DH fishery very close to Asheville and easy to get to. However, I personally like the Davidson. It sure won't give you the numbers you can get on the North Mills, but I like the satisfaction you get from catching a few wild ones on the Davidson. I fished the Davidson on saturday for a few hours. Had pretty good action with #20 hare's ear and pheasant tails on 6x flouro. Avery Creek witch is a tributary of the Davidson is a nice small stream where you can usually have some privacy and catch more numbers of small bows and browns, but if the water is very low it might not be that good. Let me know if you ahve any other questions.

SC
Old 10-11-2006, 07:44 AM

Yes, the Davidson has a lot to recommend it, and if you had the entire day, I'd say you should visit the Davidson...but for only a half-day's fishing, I think you'd be hard-pressed to do better than the North Mills. It's quickly and easily reached, and should offer a fair amount of action for the limited amount of time you have to spend.