Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Default The Wary Brown Trout

Hello to all!

Being new to the sport, I've caught plenty of rainbows and even a few brookies, but I really want to hook into a big brown. Any suggestions on where and how?

Thanks,

Green_Weenie
Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 AM

Default Re: The Wary Brown Trout

Patience Grasshopper, the mystical brown trout is truly a trophy & not like the ever agressive brookie or bow.
I love browns, next to a brookie, they are the most beautiful fish i've ever caught(my opinion).
Where do you fish? It's getting that time of year for the browns to go in a spawing mood, whether they accomplish it or not remains to be seen & they are a little less wary.
I'm not advocating fishing for spawing fish, they may be in the process of moving upstream for a spawn & you can generally catch them then. If they are in the process of making redds, leave them alone, please.
For big browns, Arkansas always fills my needs.

Grumpy
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Oh wise and wonderful Grumpy,

Thanks for the advice. I live in Knoxville and mostly fish the Clinch River (it's closest to my house). I do make the occasional trip down to Townsend to fish the Smokies.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Oh wise and wonderful Grumpy,

hehehe, that's the overstatement of the year, figured Paula would have already currectid that one.
I've seen some browns on the move already, these cooler temps are triggering them.
I don't fish above the weir very much on the Clinch, do you ever catch any browns there, mine all come from below the weir.

Grumpy
Old 10-06-2006, 07:45 AM

Grumpy,

I usually fish my way around Miller's Island. That water is just eat up with rainbows. I thought I might try my luck somewhere else, in hopes of hooking up with a brown. I plan on going later today; probably around 12.

Thanks again for the insight.

Green_Weenie
Old 10-06-2006, 03:12 PM

try throwing some streamers and stripping them back or swinging them for those browns.
They do get aggressive this time of year. If not yet you will start seeing them jump on the clinch watch the water between the weir and Miller's.
I want to catch one too, as do most of us!