Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Tellico Delayed Harvest section

Went up to Tellico and stayed on the DH section on Sunday. Really wanted to go to Nantahala but , this was a little closer and I've scince been informed that it was really crowded. The Tellico was not crowded. The road was a little busy with campers coming and going. Spent almost as much time looking as I did fishing. Fished all day till around 3:00 before I caught anything. Two native rainbows and two stockers. Finally found a pool that I have had good luck in before. Afternoon sun gave these fish away but they weren"t in the mood. Saw some nice fish but they didn't seem like they wanted to do anything but sit around the bottom. I had the camera with me and found a few things to keep me occupied. All in all, a great day to be out.

mstone
Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Tellico Delayed Harvest section

I have heard the Nantahala and the Tellico are similar during the DH periods. I have not fished the Tellico yet but I have given up on the NAnt. It does get very crowded and with some of the rudest flyfishers I have ever met. I get mad just thinking about it.

I am plannig on trying the Tellico around Dec. or Jan. Got any suggestions?

NKY
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM

NKYfly,
It's frustrating to fish the Nantahala on weekends. Too many people, too many cars traveling that road. Through the week is the ticket though. The fish on the Nantahala are easier to find because of the size river. I think there is far more insect life on the Nantahala. Especially mayflies. The Tellico has better looking runs, more water ect.... By the time December comes around, they will have stocked twice more, so that may help some. i use to fish the Tellico when I was younger, using corn and worms. Knew all the good holes. Flyfishing the river now is a different animal, at least for me. For one, Ijust don't go there as often as other rivers, it's closer than most though. I would not think you will see many people in the winter there. Watch from the road using the sun to help you spot fish. Some stretches just don't seem to have fish, at least not the better stockers. Small PT's and zebra midges will work. Good luck.

Tightlines,
mstone
Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM

mstone,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering. How far is it from I75 to Tellico Plains.

I obviously am coming from northern Ky. It looks like the best way down is I75 south of Knoxville and turn east.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 PM

NKYfly,

From I75 at the Sweetwater exit (#60), it looks to be about 15 to 18 miles, maybe 20. Taking hwy. 68 is the route I reccomend. Someone else may have a better way but I think this way will be less of a hassle. I
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Tellico DH

NKY,
Yes. I-75 is your best route. From exit 60 it will be about 25 miles to Tellico, then about another 10-15 miles to the fishing. Hope this helps.