Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Tuesday's Trip

I was too sick to go to class or work, so I fished all over the park today. I didn't do too well on the Little River. I fished The Sinks for a few hours and only managed to land 3 small bows on a #16 prince nymph. Also fished along the gravel road near Tremont with limited success. The dry fly action didn't pick-up until I headed up and fished the area near the Alum Cave trailhead. Ended up catching several bows and brookies on a #16 bwo. They were all small but at least I was catching something. Maybe it was the full moon thing or whatever. Anyway, it was a beautiful day to be fishing.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Re: Tuesday's Trip

My son and I spent the better part of the morning on the East Prong above Metcalf Bottoms. You're right, it was a beautiful day to be fishing in these mountains. We didn't have great deal of luck either. Got an extra early start - just after sunrise - and did a lot of stalking and just scoping out different spots while waiting for the sun to break through the trees and start warming the water. Got just one fat and sassy 10" bow on a size 12 stone, right at the end of a long drift just as it started to rise off the bottom. My son was getting tons of hits on a size 14 BHPT with a flash-back, but no hook-ups. We hiked out to head back to town since I had to be at work by 3:30... when we spotted a real honey hole. For about 15 minutes we just stood up on the road looking down at the stream about 25' below us, watching some monster fish feeding about halfway up in the water column. They were in a side pocket just off a fairly good trench of fast water and the light was just right. What a sight! The pool was about 4 to 4 1/2 feet deep and we estimated the fish to range from about 10" up to about 18". We just had to climb down that hill and try and sneak up on 'em. Unfortunately we only had about 15 minutes to play with them. Nope. Didn't catch a one! But we know where they are and it's just a matter of time!

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 10-14-2006, 12:19 PM

I have to ask the question . Where did the inspiration come from using that name, and please tell me that you don't whistle at your yellow lab or golden retreiver while following it around with a pair of scissors trying to fulfill a caddis pattern....LM_O....Just the thought is enough to make you laugh...Really, no hard feelings but that is hillarious...I saw the username while poking around the site and the second I saw it I immediately recalled one of Tom Rosenbaur's books and how he talks about hunting down a mole. He goes on to talk about how bad the oder was once he finnaly caught it and how addictive this sport can make a person....Not sure of the book, but now I must find it so that u can read it.

My father is the one posting above and he's right, we did find one heck of a honey hole. There were at least 5 large browns one probably over 18" and we didn't have a lot of time to attempt to catch them. The time that we did spend trying to catch them I got three impressive strikes non of which (of course) led to a catch. But regardless it was nice to see that there are some large fish in the GSM...My father and I have been after a large brown for some time now and I think we are getting to the point were it's bound to happen...

Best of luck and great name!
Fishermansfly
Old 10-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have to ask the question . Where did the inspiration come from using that name, and please tell me that you don't whistle at your yellow lab or golden retreiver while following it around with a pair of scissors trying to fulfill a caddis pattern....LM_O....Just the thought is enough to make you laugh...Really, no hard feelings but that is hillarious...I saw the username while poking around the site and the second I saw it I immediately recalled one of Tom Rosenbaur's books and how he talks about hunting down a mole. He goes on to talk about how bad the oder was once he finnaly caught it and how addictive this sport can make a person....Not sure of the book, but now I must find it so that u can read it.

My father is the one posting above and he's right, we did find one heck of a honey hole. There were at least 5 large browns one probably over 18" and we didn't have a lot of time to attempt to catch them. The time that we did spend trying to catch them I got three impressive strikes non of which (of course) led to a catch. But regardless it was nice to see that there are some large fish in the GSM...My father and I have been after a large brown for some time now and I think we are getting to the point were it's bound to happen...

Best of luck and great name!
Fishermansfly
I just kinda had an epiphany one day as I was reading about flies. I thought the whole idea was just rediculously funny, so thats the name I went with on the board here. Occasionally though, I really do wonder what kind of fly I could make with my Aussie's fur .

I may have to check that book out. I have managed to become obsessed with this sport in only a couple of months.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to find some humor in my name.

Oh yeah....I'm still searching for a brownie myself. I have yet to catch one in the park. I'll be your best friend if you pm me that honey hole...

Tight lines my friend!