Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-14-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Tremont Report

Fished the Gravel road all the way up to the trailhead today. Fishing was tough, but I managed nine and my friend Don caught six. They were taking both drys and nymphs. We fished a dropper setup with #14 yellow/orange stim with a #14 prince. Most of the fish were small, but we had a good time.

I normally keep my footing pretty well, but today was terrible. Every rock I stepped on seemed to move out from under me. I hit my right knee three times and I'm thinking about wearing a knee pad next time I fish. I fish that stretch 2-3 times a month and fell more today than all times before combined.

Wish I could fish next week with the warmer weather... Good luck to all!!!

Kevin
Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Tremont Report

Glad to hear you had fun and caught some fish. I fished that section about a month ago and had a blast, it's one of the most beautiful stretches of water i've ever fished. I wish that i could go in the park more, but i live a pretty good ways away.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:46 PM

Kevin!

Haven't heard from you in a while. I've got some spots to show you next spring so be ready. Fished Clinch last Sunday and am going to show a friend around on the Clinch tomorrow. I'm about to quit for the season. Too much other stuff that needs to be done. I never made it to Deep Creek and Cattaloochee this year. Oh well, there's always next year.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:57 PM

Hans... Got a new 3wt setup. TFO rod and an Orvis Battenkill (Got it from LRO!). Man is it a fun setup to fish with. I may be able to go next Sunday if you are interested. Wouldn't mind one more trip to Greenbriar or we could try Metcalf to Elkmont. I've got a few good tips on landing a bigger Brown and would like to try them. If Sunday is no good, maybe the following weekend? Thanks for all your help this year!

Kevin
Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 AM

hey Kev....did you get the mid arbor battenkill or the standard arbor battenkill....I've been looking at the mid arbor and really would like to hear from someone who has one first. I currently own a 5/6 battenkill and it is a nice reel but I never use it in the park ......I generally use my 3/4wt GLoomis but want to get a new rod/reel and am torn between the new large arbor GLoomis and the mid arbor Battenkill........

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM

It is the standard... I just wanted something small and light. I mostly fish Tremont and/or the Chimneys area and was looking for more feel and action for the smaller fish. I just started Fly Fishing this year and the largest fish I've caught were a 12" Bow and a 10" Brown. I can't wait to hook into one those with this setup. Should be a challenge!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 AM

I think you'll love it....kinda like using an ultra light on those big hybrid brim......kinda like giving the fish a fighting chance ..sorta

anyways, hope you catch lots of memories with your new setup

btw.....we'll be in the park this week, if you see a white F150 with an American flag bug deflector ( love the U.S.A)....give us a shout.....

buckeyetrouter
Old 10-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Buckeyetrouter,

I got the mid-arbor Battenkill this past spring. A 3/4 , on a 4-weight rod. Very nice, especially for the price. Drag is smooth. Probably will last a longtime.

mstone
Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 AM

is that a click drag or disc drag system...is the drag adjust have a wide variation...I know my standard battenkill has a wide range drag, but I bought my fiance a clearwater to start out and it is drag - kinda drag - no drag......

buckeyetrouter
Old 10-15-2006, 11:59 AM

Buckeyetrouter,

That is a glass composite, I believe. It feels very much like the cork disc drag on my Baur SL. Once your through fishing, they reccomend to back the drag most of the way off till the next time you use it.

mstone