Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-19-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Hike in fishing

Got a question for all of y'all that love to do some hike-in fishing: What all do you carry with you My list is pretty basic stuff, although i am looking to probably add a few more things to it. I started another thread in the gear section about the fishpond shooting star because i'm thinking of getting that. Right now i have an old, old pack that ain't cutting it anymore. Anyways, here's what i carry:

Compass
Blanket
LED Light
Whistle
Extra Socks
Large Knife
Water and Food
Box of Waterproof Matches
Fire Starter
First Aid Kit
Map(s)
Rain Jacket

I'm thinking of adding one of those ultra small (and light) backpacking stoves that way i can heat up some mre's, oatmeal, or whatever else.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Hike in fishing

Are you talking about an all day hike or an over nighter?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:05 AM

Sorry, i guess i should have clarified that. Just an all day hike. I don't quite yet have the capacity to do overnighters, but maybe one day soon i'll get me a small tent.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:02 AM

I wouldn't carry a blanket on a day trip, endless you are tallking about one of those that will fold up and fit in your pocket. I figure if I have to spend the night because i'm hurt or something then i'll build a fire. If i can't build a fire then what does it matter if I've got a blanket, I'll be dead anyways. I wouldn't take a stove for a day trip either. Everything i carry fits into my fishing vest. I also have a signalling mirror just in case.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 AM

I would leave the blanket and large knife at home. They're nothing but dead weight. If you plan on doing a simple overnight trip, the only 2 things I would add to this list is a sleeping bag and a bivy sack. My bivy sack is made by Cabelas, is waterproof and weighs less than a pound. My sleeping bag stays in it for the entire trip and I put it straight into the compression bag. As for a stove, I don't carry one even when I bowhunt elk in Colorado. Just buy the MRE's that have the heat packets in them. They don't heat your food hot, however they do warm them up some. Throw away the extra packaging, coffee and hot sauce if you want to save weight. Don't forget your fly boxes either. I once packed in on a Friday afternoon, set-up camp (threw my bivy sack on the ground) and when I went to go fishing that evening, relized that I had left all my flies in the Jeep. I enjoyed an evening camping and hiked out the next morning.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM

One more thing I carry when I remember is a pack of firecrackers. If a bear becomes a nuisance light the pack and throw it at him. You won't see the bear again. If you like the heated food take the stove. The knife may come in handy if you want to clean a fish or two.....or three for lunch.
Best,
Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I once packed in on a Friday afternoon, set-up camp (threw my bivy sack on the ground) and when I went to go fishing that evening, relized that I had left all my flies in the Jeep. I enjoyed an evening camping and hiked out the next morning.
I bet you were pretty aggrevated with yourself. I drove to the Smokeis once and forgot my fly rod.

I'd keep the large knife. *i carry a marine kabar with me at all times when i'm fishing. *I display it proudly on my wading belt for everyone to see. *I know it wouldn't do much good in my hands fighting off a bear or a caddy-wampus but it might keep SOMEONE from messing with me. *Plus it looks really cool
Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 AM

Mtnman,
Good information given thus far. Priorty #1 for me is a simple "day plan" given to someone at home that details what,where,when (you get the point). This way if something ominus happens my chances of survival greatly increases!

#2 When your overnighters start your list will change somewhat. As far as shelter- you could go with a bivy-as mentioned, a hammock,(of course you will be right at table height for bears) or tarp tent(my favorite). As far as stoves are concerned my favorite is a cheap alcohol stove, its light and very earth friendly (you can even build your own). I am a coffee drinker and love my stove

# FYI I prefer to go ultralight- if this is something you like ,there are many websites that discuss UL gear.

Good luck and enjoy...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 PM

DryFly1, You're right about your priority #1. Never leave home without writing out exactly where you'll be. I used to leave a note on my vehicle as well, but with all the brake-ins, I don't like to advertise that I won't be back until such a date and time.

Russ, aggrevated was not the word for it. I keep trying to tell myself that I had a wonderfull night camping, however it was probably the worst night I've ever spent in the woods. I had just started tying my own flies and had a whole box of them tied just for that trip. I was so mad at myself I could hardly sleep and considered packing out in the dark.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Hey Buzz_Saw,

How about note to self as well as "day plan"- "BRING FLIES"

By the way, I was fishing the white river and slipped and dropped a whole box of wet and dry flies. There was going to be one happy FF downstream.

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)