Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-22-2006, 12:48 AM

Default Re: becoming a real good fishery

If you have a copy of Ian Rutter's book- Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Angler's Companion- it is explained on page 11. I've heard that similar data from several other sources. I've decided that next year, I'm going to start keeping a 7-8 inch 'bow for the pot- releasing larger fish to keep their genes in the "pool" I haven't killed a trout in the park in almost 25 years.

I, also, think WE'VE BECOME BETTER FISHERMEN! More sophisticated, better flies, techniques, etc. are being used on the more heavily fished lower waters. There are "tons" of fish in the streams and we are doing a better job of getting to them.

As a retired HS Science Teacher, I'll tell you the Global Warming stuff scares me. CNN today said Greenland lost enough of its Icecap this past year to cover the entire state of Maryland with 10ft. of water. A lot of people want to look at a specific location or incident to prove or disprove it. You CAN'T do that!! But still it scary..I've heard speculation that the pattern will increase dramatically over the next 10+ years to where it could be irreversible, before we really notice widespread problems. Politics aside, what Al Gore has been saying makes sense.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:54 PM

kytroutbum--that was a good post--they say the earth is the ultimate ecosystem--I'm sure THEY are right--I suppose I am too shallow minded and selfish to be concerned with the big picture---MY big picture is Appalachian--was born and raised here--buried my Mom and Dad here-- My parents buried my grandparents close by--it goes on 3 more generationsMy kids will bury me here--when I was somewhere else,I thought of home,these hills and mountains,the seasons,each one special in it's own way,and the people,who talk and live lives born in the hills and mountains of Appalachia--that's why iI feel close to the streams and the life,abiding,and prospering in the Smokies--The trout,bears,mayflies,are as we are ,part of an ecosystem.Our survival will depend on our care of these mountains.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM

I'll tell you what scares me...CNN and ALGORE! Both of them have too much time on their hands...they just seem to sit around and MAKE the news. I don't pretend to know anything about "global warming" but I do know that you can spin anything into a story to fit/help your own agenda. All scaryness aside, we really should give 'ol Al props for inventing the internet.

TOPPER
Old 10-22-2006, 11:07 PM

I like your style topper!

I am neither a scientist nor expert in the field of global warming. But it is and has been a hottly debated subject with no clear concenses. *I have heard numerous "experts" pontificate by radio and TV and I have never heard any of them categorically state that the world is warming! *I have even heard oceanographers state that the ocean is NOT getting warmer. As of now, I think it is a theory without supporting date. If it is true-all i want to know is,can we reverse it and will it hurt the Smokie Mountain trout fishing ? *(I had to keep this about our beloved trout fishing and mountain ranges)

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM

timz,

It's my understanding that the timing of a flood or high water event can wipe out an age class of trout if it occurs during the early stages of development from the egg to an adult fish. If eggs are layed and fertilized and a gully washer comes through, the nest can be disturbed and the eggs washed out. Also, after trout hatch the fry are life supported by an egg sack and they live in the gravel until they are large enough to come out and fend for themselves. Again, a flood or high water could wipe them out. I believe that the larger the trout the less likely a flood will cause a high mortality rate. This is natures way of keeping everything in balance. A drought with high water temperatures can cause a fish kill if the temperature goes beyond the trout's tolerance or the disolved oxygen drops below their tolerance. This can kill all sizes of trout. I've never seen this in the Smokies. Again, I'm not an expert but I've hung around a few. When I was in a TU Chapter in Nashville we had a project that we did for a two or three of years in a row. We would buy Brown Trout eggs and place them in metal boxes in the Piney River near Dixon, Tennessee. We hoped the eggs would hatch and we would have a brown trout population there. We learned this method from a guy in Mountain Home, Arkansas. Every fall when we did this a flood would wash the boxes away or damage them. We did get some browns to hatch but the high water in the fall took it's toll. We finally gave up.

Byron
Old 10-27-2006, 10:00 PM

For all of you that think global warming is just another liberal weenie conspiracy, see the excellent synopsis at the NOAA site, which has been under Republican rule for almost 7 years now:

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

In the short-term, it's not so much the temperature change itself, but the effect that even a small temperature change has on the systems that determine weather patterns. As in more frequent and severe storms or drought. Let's hope it's not drought for the Smokies, because it's probably too late to do anything about what's already been set in motion.

--Rich
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 PM

All we really know is that the earth has been warmer in the past and it has been cooler in the past. *The Sahara was once lush, and the midwest was once covered with glaciers. *I've found seashell fossils in the Rockies at 8000 ft. *You could once walk from Russia to the US. *In the geological span of time, the temperature and the fishing in the Smokies will change, whether warmer or cooler. *But the last 20 years worth of data didn't show a temperature change, and I have trouble associating fishing differences to global warming when the local climate didn't show any detectable changes over the time.

Nature is dynamic, the sun burns hotter and cooler, glaciers grow and recede... it is the changes in the world that make it work. *Is the earth getting warmer? *We are told it is. *We are also told that Mars is getting warmer. *We aren't sure why in either case, but there are lots of models that fit the data. *Maybe we have the right one. *But the probabilities are against it.

We owe our descendants our efforts to give them a world that is beautiful, natural, and habitable. *But we can't control the tides and we can't control the sun. *Despite its impact on regional weather, we don't even know what causes El Nino, but we know there have been similar events for hundreds, if not thousands of years. *It is speculated that changes in the weather is what wiped out the Mayan and Anastasi cultures, way before Europeans even knew they were there.

Things will change, given enough time. *But I think for the next few generations, we can pretty much expect the overall climate in the Smokies will be what it has been for the last few. *A stable average temperature for earth for a couple of centuries would be a true aberation.

Those brookies were there and survived in a lot worse climatic conditions than we will see in our lifetimes. *I agree, we need to be good stewards of what we have. *We also need to understand our limitations. *I for one refuse to panic over events I don't control, and the average temperature of the earth is one of those events.

"...and the wisdom to know the difference."
Old 10-28-2006, 10:40 PM

We have nothing but hypotheses regarding what caused the iceage(s) or the warm period which gave rise to the dinosaurs, a period which seems to have lasted ~ 150 million years minimum. How long has man ruled the earth?........ This is a political football, one more fear tactic on the part of politicians (my opinion) and many of you are taking the bait hook, line and sinker. We are better stewards of the planet now than we were 30, or 60 years ago. Look at all of the streams which now sustain fish which were once dead, some literally burned for months in Pennsylvannia and Ohio. Look at the fisheries the Great Lakes are now versus the fisheries they were 30 years ago. Things are getting better at least in the US, who knows about China or the Pacific rim, they won't give out any money to lesser advantaged countries so the lesser countries gang up on us. It all comes back to politics, power and money.
This is not a political website, so I hope this thread will end or be ended.
Tight lines,