Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-22-2006, 07:37 PM

Default week in Townsend

what a trip this was.....got there tues morning only to find that the park was closed due to the storm...figured they wouldn't take long we got our park license for Wedn - Fri. Worked out fairly well, just fished the stretch before the Y as you enter the park....as I figured, nothing, water was fast-fast-fast and a touch cloudy........thurs. we went up Wears Valley to PF and entered the park thru Gatlinburg and got to fish Elkmont a little bit , several small browns and that was it......Little river road was open so we went back to Townsend and after lunch tried Tremont. After trying to hike the trail to the falls we decided it was late enough to try for some brookies.....fished just above tremont and caught several small brookies.......Friday spent the whole day in the Cove taking pics of the bears (spent 2hrs with a sow and 3 cubs) and got some great pics thanks to a telephoto lens......Fri evening went back to Tremont and caught 5 brookies with one being close to 8" and the little lady also caught a brookie... the only thing we could get them to bite on was a very small griffiths gnat, everything else was a pass and they were gone.......all things said, it was still a very good vacation.......

Hey Hans.....you were right about the weather gods, wow what a blow the park got .................but it was still good for our visit and can't wait for the next one...probably late Jan or early Feb, want to see the park with snow down......

Hey Paula, hope you are feeling better, sounded like the allergies were taking control of you when we were in the shop ......

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-22-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Re: week in Townsend

Hey Buckeye,

Any day in the park is better than the best day at home or work! (But you knew that).

Congrats to the "little lady" mine has no interest.

Any photos to share? Sounds like you met your brookie quota...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 10-23-2006, 08:08 AM

hey dryfly1....i have a few pics and will post them tonight when I have more time......

thanks
buckeyetrouter
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM

hey dryfly1....here goes, hope these pics come thru....a small brookie and a fair sized bear.......
buckeyetrouter

Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM

Nice pics, hope you didn't get too close to that bear! I've never seen one in the park, of course unfortunately i haven't been able to spend much time in there. I plan on really exploring and hiking into some remote streams within the next year though, so i plan on running into one sometime.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:19 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 PM

mtnman...

maybe i'm a big sissy, but each time i've encountered a bear... i didn't like it. *we are in their house, and while they are pretty laid back, there are many things that could trigger a less than positive experience. *while i was on bradley fork a few weeks back some hunting dogs had got loose and were chasing a bear. *the bear passed between my friend mark and me. *to cap it off my friend started running around despite my best efforts to to stop him. *dogs were barking, a bear was huffing and puffing, and i wanted to kill my friend more so than any bear. *lets just say he got an earfull all the way home. *nothing that would keep me off the river, but you never know. *

actually i guess i am a big sissy. *i encountered my first otter last week, and he scared the crap out of me. you would have thought the loch ness monster snook up on me at tremont...

kevin
Old 10-24-2006, 12:45 AM

Yea i am right there with you redman. I dont have much experience fishing in the park but when I was there last week fishing by myself, I found that I was always looking around and over my shoulder. I never really felt like venturing from the road too far because I am just really uneasy about seeing a bear up there. I am probably worring about it for no reason and the more I go the less I'll stress. Great pictures though. How close was that bear to you again? and where exactly did you see it?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 AM

I think it would kinda be neat to see one and get a picture, but then again i don't know............

I'll probably do like you guys! I mean chances are he's gonna go on his way but there's always that chance, so i'd probably get a little scared too. I really wanna explore some of the smokies, like hike in to the headwaters of forney, noland, and little river, but at the time i don't really have anyone to go with me and i'd probably be looking over my shoulder the whole time, just like you, if i went by myself.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:45 AM

hey guys......it really wasn't that dangerous for several reasons...

1 - the distance was greater than the pic showed.....I used a 300mm zoom lens on my digital camera with actually magnafied the lense to a 450mm lense

2 - the sow had her nose in the leaves rooting the whole time and there was a 10ft tall embankment between her, the cubs and us

3- we were alway within 8-10 ft of the truck and the doors were kept open

but trust me, I am always aware that anything is possible an the nerves were twitching for a quick getaway response should it be needed. Besides, I took precautions and had stuffed some fried chicken in my fiances coat pockets just in case ... lol....just kidding....sorta....

The pics of the bear were on Rich Mtn Rd exiting Cades Cove just past Hyatt Lane.....The fish were from Tremont.....

btw....here is a great cub pic....enjoy

buckeyetrouter