Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Crayfish fishin'

Summer is in and Ive hung up my 4wt and got out my 7...folks round here it is time for some smallmouth. I picked up a few crawdad (thats a crayfish for those of yall who arnt from the south ) patterns but Im not exactly sure how to go about fishing 'em. The fellas at the shop were talkin about adding shot to the tag end of the surgeons knot (the knot for tippet to leader) and driftin the fly across spots or hoppin it around gravel bars. Im stumped on this one guys...all help is welcome.

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 06-22-2006, 08:25 PM
J.Hightower

Default Re: Crayfish fishin'

I wish I knew MTN_TRT ..... I gona have to watch this post...I would like to know too...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:21 PM

Not sure what you want, but I'll give it a try. I fish the Licking River streams with a small 1 to 1/2 inch crayfish. I love Will Ryan's crayfish. Tan dubbed fur body, (keep small)rabbit fur pinchers, hackle legs, pull deer hair over top as shell. Fish this with an indicator like a nymph. I fish with floating line and weigh the fly to match water depth- Mainly shallow where I fish. Gary Borger's Fleeing Crayfish is great also, I like it for lakes. Both flies are simple to tie and work for me. My streams are usually slower running than the streams coming out of the park, so you may have to add some shot to your leader.

Check out Harry Murray's Book and video's. His techniques work great for "cool" water fish, when my honey do list is too long to get to the mountains.
Randy Sale
Old 06-24-2006, 01:23 PM

Kytroutbum:

thats exactly what i was wanting. thanks man!

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM

Bob Clouser fishes a crawfish pattern using a dead drift method, like a nymph. I think that's all he does unless I misunderstood him.

Byron
Old 07-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Has anybody noticed the redeye population is is making a comeback ?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Mr. Byron:

Bob Clouser came to my local fly shop (VA Creeper FlyShop) and I got to hear the Deep Water Minnow and another streamer but I had to leave before the crayfish came up. I bought a couple Clouser Crayfish patterns and Ill be sure to give that a try. Thanks!

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 PM

i live on the stones river in in lascassas(right outside of murfreesboro).its not the best smallmouth fishing in tennessee nor is it catching 5-6 pounders but it is great for smallies 1-3 pounds. i use a 5-wt 7.5 rod and that takes care of fishing with crawfish. if there is a pretty good current put enough split shot on to get it down, and cast right on the other side of the current and strip 1-2 times. (you will often get a strike when its sinking or when you strip it.) if you dont let it swing down and out strip it again 1-2 times.if you dont get a strike here take a step down and do the same thing.

in none or really slow current put split shot on to sink it quickly and cast tight to struscture. if its hot short quick 3-4 in. strips often work best. in early morning or late afternoon i use long slow 1 foot strips. But it is really just finding what the smallies want and the more experience you get the easier it is.

As for patterns i dont know because i use my own,but before i tied a clousers crayfish was my favorite.hope this helps.

Tight lines,
TW
Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 AM

I have done a little of this, not enough to tell you with any certainty that something works. I feel like I have tripped over a smallie when I catch one. When you hook one in the 12" or bigger range you will swear you hooked a trophy. They are back alley thugs! You might try some sneaky petes and small poppers near grass beads, if you see any. Sometimes white conehead zuddlers (or similar) will work. Keep trying different things around cover or structure.. I like to swing streamers as well, Clouser types are good because with the hook up the hand less. Don't hesitate to try a woolybugger as well.
Lets hear how you do.
Anybody local wants to go sometime, shoot me and email. Two heads are often better than one.
Tight lines,