Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Poly-Yarn

Hey guys. I hear it is good to use white poly-yarn to make the parachute posts on parachute flies. What is this stuff and where can I get some? Thanks for your help.

Brandon
Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Poly-Yarn

Polypropylene yarn is definately good stuff for dries because it floats well. *LRO has an excellent selection and I'm sure if you give them a call they can help you out with whatever colors you're wanting. *I would start with a few basic colors. *The yellow is very useful for tying a great yellow sally pattern that is easy to tie and of course white is a color you will want. *Have fun experimenting!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-25-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the help Plateau Angler!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Don't forget chartreuse, pink or orange for the smaller dries, they are a lot easier to see at 40'-50' 8-)

Grumpy
Old 12-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Has anybody ever figured out the difference between poly yarn, antron & "sparkle yarn"? Just to eyeball it they look similar and different sources seem to use them for similar stuff. Always assumed "antron" was a brand name and poly yarn was generic, never thought much about it. Just saw the thread on the poly yarn and thought I'd ask (I assume the poly yarn floats and the antron sinks?). Not an earth shattering question, was just curious.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 PM

There's a fly from Sweden called the Rackelhanen, made entirely from poly. I'm going to try some for the Yellow Sallies. It's an interesting tie, uses chopped up poly for the body, and short lengths of poly yarn for the wing.

sb
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm looking for some bulk skeins of poly yarn in colors that aren't found in the usual tying supplier listings, so far with no luck. I've seen it ref'd to as "craft yarn," used for macrame plant hangers I think. Anyone have a suggestion where/what to look for?

sb
Old 02-04-2007, 01:43 PM

if you have any friends that own carpet shops.....that is a good source for short pcs....they actually have carpet from p.e.t. that is made from recycled pop bottles and such....I have picked up serveral sample boards from the longer loop and the boards usually have small samples of each color available. I know you can't use it for all applications, but it works great for some.......

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 02-13-2007, 11:27 AM

If you want a lifetime supply, check out the rope in a Home Improvement store. Make sure it says Polypropelyne cord on the label. Just unfurl the individual strands and pick out with bodkin then tie down your wing piece after you cut to size. As for "antron" or "Z-lon", I believe these are trade names and the material is clsoer to nylon than anything else...it will not float without some sort of treatment.

AA
Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Default poly yarn

google: bonnie braid all colors and and makes good strike indicators 4mm size