Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Preference of Leader to Flyline connection

I keep going back to nail knot after a bout with loops connections for leader to fly line, seems more streamlined to me...in the smokies I like a 7'5" 5x leader with a double surgeon connected 6x about 2 or three feet...tailwaters a 9ft 5x leader with couple feet 6x and add 7x if needed...
Old 10-25-2006, 03:31 PM

regarding the add on loops, i bought an orvis cfg 1 (2 wt reel) about 9 years ago, with a double taper line. it came with the braided loop factory installed. i was able to use that original loop until a couple of months ago when i decided to turn the fly line around. i nail knoted a butt loop to the 'new' end of the fly line, but i didn't like the way it hung up in the rod guides. so i ordered a pack of the braided add ons, (i think they were 5 for about $5). maybe i'll get lucky and get another nine years out of this one.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 PM

I have a 6" piece of 30 pound test mono tied to the end of my fly line with a nail knot. *The other end of the mono has a perfection loop in it. *I connect my leader to the mono with another perfection loop connection. *i also use 7.5' 5x tapered leader and will add some 5x tippet to that once i have changed flies a few times. *
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM

I have tried slip-on loop connections but after losing an entire leader with a fish on before, I learned how to tie nail knots. I don't like the hinge effect with loop to loop connections so I nail knot with about 8-10" of red Amnesia stiff leader on the end of my fly line. I tie my own leaders with Brown Maxima at 7.5ft, tapered to 3X. I add Froghair or Orvis tippet. This is attached with a bloodknot to the Amnesia. I can repair the leader quickly onstream and the Amnesia works well as a strike indicator. I get a little satisfaction from using my own leaders much like catching fish with your own hand tied flies.
Troutman
Old 10-25-2006, 05:08 PM

I have never mastered the nail knot(one successful tie in many attempts), don't like the slip on loops though I have used them. I have found that the little plastic bullits work pretty well though it is not very traditional. Usually I use a surgeon's knot or a double uni. The SK is easy for me to tie on the water and both seem to go through the guides well.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:10 PM

interesting to hear that the slip on loops have come off for some of you. i'd be pretty mad if that ever happened. i have about one inch of fly line running up into the hollow braid, and a little red tube slides down to cover the frays at the flyline end of the loop, (i added a drop of superglue here), the red makes a nice indicator. when i test the connection, the braided loop appears to do what it is supposed to, i.e. get tighter around the flyline with tension. i will say that it took me awhile to figure out how to compress the hollow braid and inchworm the flyline into it.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

While we are talking about leaders, what kind of leaders do you all use? Particuarly this fall Ive found that the RIO leaders do well w/ dry flies ( I havent fished any nymphs this fall). The subtle butt section and it doesnt have much belly to either. The SA leaders I like for nymph fishing, however, they seem to have a thick butt and stong belly. Makes it easy to turn nymph rigs over. What are some thoughts on this?

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 10-26-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
i've been using the little braided loops from orvis, that push on and tighten like a 'chinese finger puzzle'. *i like them because there are no knots, and they seem to get through the eyes of the rod with less hang up.

I use these too, with a bit of zap-a-gap. I like a 7 1/2 foot and 9 foot braided leader (also from orvis). They have a nice little loop on the end that makes it real handy for putting whatever size tippet I want on.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM

glad to hear i'm not the only one using the braided loop. for leader and tippet, i've been using the orvis mirage flourocarbon products. for drys and streamers, it's usually a 7 1/2' 5X with a single surgeon's loop on both ends, and a 6X or 7X tippet with a double surgeon's loop and a palomar knot to the fly. if i'm free drifting nymphs, i use about 5-6 ft. of 5X tippet for a leader with single surgeon's and 6X tippet.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:50 PM

I prefer to nail knot a piece of 20 lb test to the end of my line, coat it with super glue and then tie a permanent loop on the other end and make a loop to loop connection with the leader. For smaller fish and lighter rods one of those Chinese finger trap type loop conectors with the heat shrink sleeve will work just fine. The only problem with those is that eventually they give out.