Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 AM

Default Just curious

I've used all but frog hair and I am currently using Orvis's Mirage leader and tippet. I had purchased Umpqua 6X tippet and when tying any type of knot it curly Q's any where from an inch or two, even holding it in the stream when cinching the knot. Don't care for SA leaders due to the silly connecters and tool you have to carry with you but I've not tried the SA tippet. I've also tried the Orvis's Super Strong and found it to be any thing but strong breaking off every fly that lands in a...well u guys know! ! I've not tried the Frog Hair (leaders and tippet) or Rio's tippet. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and I've seen that frog hair appears to be more expensive. I am however content, at the moment, with Orvis's Mirage at least in the 5, 6, and 7X range. Just looking for a little input to possibly make a change.
Thanks for any input and advice!
Fishermansfly
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Just curious

Frog Hair all the way!!!

Honestly, i'm really sold on this stuff. I know it's more expensive, but i have yet to have one break or anything. Sometimes i used to have problems with tying a new leader on and then breaking when i tie my first fly on it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 AM

I really like Frog Hair, and that is all I use now for tippets. It is very flexible which gives a very natural drift to the dry fly. It also has some stretch to it which makes it forgiving when setting the hook too hard. There are times when I even have trouble breaking it off when I hook one of those leafy trout. It is well worth the extra cost.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM

I used Frog Hair at the suggestion of a friend on the Big Horn In Mt. After three days of hauling in a lot of large fish and having most of our lost fish come from pulling the midges out of their mouth and with very few breakoff, I swear by it.

Randy Sale
Old 10-27-2006, 10:01 AM

I think i've got Orvis super strong leaders and tippet. I have 6x tippet but rarely use it. 99% of my fishing is with 5x. The thing about these not being strong surprises me . I've never had a problem with them not being strong. I've actually been afraid of breaking my rod trying to get my line to break off when i'm in a tree or hung up on the bottom.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM

Have used all types of leaders and tippet and use Frog Hair almost exclusively! I was given about 3 spools by a friend and sold from the begining. Still use some orvis products and always will. Orvis will always be in contention for the #1 brand,they have great products,a long history and depending on your fishing style ,will most likely have something for everyone...

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM

I have been using Orvis Super Strong and Mirage for several years as my tippet material but tried the Froghair this past year and I like it better than any other brand. I tie leaders with Maxima Leader material and I like the Froghair tippet especially well on my dry fly leaders. It seems to stretch without braking easily and I have talked to several guides around the area and they really push it also.
Less fish lost to spending a little more on a quality product is worth it to me.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:16 AM

"Nuthin' finer than Frog Hair"

I've really liked frog hair from the beginning. *I tried Orvid Super Strong and just didn;t like it as much. *I buy the frog hair leaders and tippet. *A spool of tippet wil last for ever so there is no reason to try to go cheep here, IMO anyway.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM

I use orvis ss leaders for my 4 and 6 wt rods, but on small streams I often use a 2 wt and it will not cast an orvis leader well. in that case I have to use a frog hair "supple butt" leader. I use frog hair tippet almost always. I did try some rio tippet once and loved it. about 2 years ago i bought a braided leader at LRO. has anyone tried one of these? I really liked it. It's very soft and lays on the water nicely. also, I used it 3-4 days a week for about 3 months and it only seemed to get better the more worn and broken in it got. I thought it would last forever, but it finally broke and I haven't been able to find one since. I know I could order one, but It'd be nice if LRO would stock them again. what gives?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:08 PM

Call LRO and have them order some for you. They will even ship it to you at no charge. What a deal. I will have to look into theses leaders.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.