Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Winston BIIX?

Mtnman2888

You have obviously given this alot of thought, as well you should...this will be a super sweet small stream rod and reel outfit! Your reel will most likely always weigh more than the blank weight since you will add backing and line in addition to the weight of the reel itself.

We don't currently have the 3 weight Boron II in stock, but we will be happy to get it in. That way, we can take your reel choices and be able to tell you which one feels the best with it. Any of the reels you have mentioned would be good matches with the Winston. We would be happy to help you further. Just give me a call...our toll free number is 877/448-3474.

Paula

Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM

Anyone have any experience with the nautilus reels? I really, really like the nautilus featherweight, it looks fantastic. I think they are mainly a saltwater reel company but it looks like a really quality product and was the official reel of the usa fly fishing team!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 PM

reel? If I had the money, I would buy a hardy featherweight or whatever its called, just because I think its cool. I have a 2 weight superfine matched with an orvis cfo reel. I also own an orvis bbs reel. its a solid reel, but if you're going to drop 600 on a rod, I'd highly recommend the cfo. I LOVE this reel and have considered replacing some of my others with it. it sounds amazing when a fish is pulling line off it. I think the quality of the cfo far surpasses the relatively low 200 price.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:57 PM

I'll second the CFO. Super light weight and the click sounds is so sweet that it will haunt you and the fish the rest of your days. If you can find a CFO II or III in the gray spring and pawl version such as on E-bay, get you one. They are no longer made (only disc now) and they were built by Hardy Bros. in England! Very sweet reel for a 3wt. I've got a CFO IV that i use on my 5wt rods. It is lighter than anyother reel 1/4" dia. smaller, and all of the extra backing makes it like a large arbor reel!!!

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 11-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Oh yeah, before you commit 600 clams for the BIIx 3wt, if you haven't already, cast an 8' 4wt Orvis Superfine "tightloop" when considering a mountain stream rod. This rod comes in a 4pc. and since the new Superfines are out, it can be had for something like $250. They are super light like the Winstons but will have a little slower action...Not that this is a bad thing

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 11-19-2006, 05:35 PM

I'm a Winston LT 5pc guy myself but I like the Boron IIX. Winston is coming out with their new Boron IIt Trout Rods. Here's what they say: "With this series, we have moved our proven second generation boron in a whole new direction, with extraordinarily lightweight rods that combine the powerful, high responsive characterists of Boron II with the legendary smoothness and delicacy of our more traditional rods". Sounds like a Winston brochure doesn't it?

They are available in: 7' 6" 3 weight that weighs 2 ounces, 8' 3 weight that weighs 2 1/8 oz.,
8' 4 weight weighs 2 1/4 oz, 8' 6" 4 weight weighs 2 1/2 oz, 9' 4 weight weighs 2 1/2 oz.,
8' 6" 5 weight weighs 2 1/2 oz and a 9' 5 weight that weighs 2 5/8 oz. These rods are all
4-piece with a burled box elder insert nickel silver uplock reel seat. They will sell for $625.
We should have them in the shop by mid December. Something else to think about. I've seen them. They're sweet!

Byron