Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-01-2006, 12:50 PM

Default spawning areas

I took Monday off of work and went fishing. One of the local tailwaters closes certain areas to fishing on Nov. 1st to allow the fish to spawn over the next few months. I checked the TVA water release schedule and it looked great. When I arrived to the river after driving for two hours, I found the river to be running full. *I decided to swing some streamers through the slow water next to the grass banks hoping for a large brown to attack it. I caught a couple of smaller fish about 12" but not what I was looking for. I worked downstream towards an island channel out of the main river current working the streamer back under the undercut banks. I decided to cross over the channel and when I stepped down into the streambed a giant Brown came out next to my leg and shot downstream. I figure it was over 25" maybe 30".
I should have known to fish an area before wading through it. Maybe next spring I will find him again. The best fish of the day was about 16". My point is, never trust TVA's schedules and be prepared for unexpected surprises! I am going to try to post a couple of pictures, but I am not sure if it will work.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: spawning areas

Amazing pics there troutman. I fished the Clinch on Sunday and saw some huge browns. Those tailwaters sure do hold some big fish.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Nice fish and great pictures. Which tailwater were you fishing? Is it safe to wade at all when they are running water?

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 PM

Griff, * This is the South Holston tailwater. The river is safe to wade with 1 generator but 2 is dangerous. I look for slower currents on the inside on river bends and also grassy banks such as in the lower pict. on the righthand side.
I stay out of the water as much as possible and 3/4 cast streamers that swing back along the edges. I also look for island channels that form in high water that are dry streambeds when the water is down. A drift boat or pontoon is best in high water on this river. Select areas are now closed to fishing until early spring for the spawn. Gas prices have kept me from visiting *very often this year, so I try to make the most of any time spent on the water. ** * Troutman
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM

There's only one generator on the South Holston. Also, the spawing closures open back up on Feb. 1st.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:36 PM

RFowler, *Your right. What I should have said was that it's usually safe to wade when TVA pulses the 1 generator, but when they generate for extended periods, the river is too high and dangerous to wade out into the river. 2600cfm is a lot of water!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Troutman
Old 11-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Great Pictures, how reliable are the generation schedules. I've been told they are not to accurate. Also be told that when the water goes up, the fishing turns off. I would hate to invest in a float trip just to have it ruined by an unreliable TVA schedule.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:50 PM

TM, I figured that is what you meant.

Woody,

The generation schedules are pretty reliable for the most part on the South Holston. I've only been up there once where it was different from what was posted. Generation had been delayed from work at the powerhouse. A good way to gauge releases is to watch the weather. Recent rains will spur more generation and this is where things get a little iffy. Good stable weather patterns usually means the same for generation schedules.

"Also be told that when the water goes up, the fishing turns off." Hogwash! Somebody been lyin' to you!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM

Thanks RFowler, Thats good to here about the water levels. My freind was floating the Watauge a few years ago, April I believe, and the water rose a couple of feet in a relatively short period of time. His guide remarked how unpredictable TVA has been. Must have been a raining spring as you suggest. But he also made the comment about the fish not wanting to bite. Maybe he just wanted to go home early. Any way I'm thinking about a float trip this winter. Ive been told, again, don't know whether to belive, that winter is a great time for float trips. Is that just some guides attempt to get a few bookings in the colder months. Any thoughts
Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 AM

What rivers are best in the Jan, Feb, Mar time frame for float trips. Thats if the fishing is good.