Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: spawning areas

Any month you can get on the South Holston is a good month. The best time, in my opinion, for the South Holston is late June and early July. Reason... sulfur hatches. I prefer high water during this time because there's less people and lots of feeding fish. Any other time is good to excellent. I'm a guide up there myself but I've been down in Georgia for the last year helping my mother. If you want a recommendation for a good guide I'd be happy to do so. You'll want a guide that's going to give you more bang for your buck.

Rivers that I like thru Jan-March include the Clinch, South Holston, and Watauga. The Watauga and Clinch will be your best bets for a float because these rivers can be floated on low water. The South Holston is my favorite but you need water to float it or you will need for someone to set up a special trip up for you. Shoot me a PM and let me know what your are looking to get out of your trip. That is the most important thing.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:10 PM

RFowler, I thinking very hard about doing more float fishing. At 51 I spend more time picking myself up from GSM park stream beds then is healthy. I've taken some incredible tumbles this year, the most memorable being a twenty foot head over heels free fall from the edge of the Little River road (don't tell my wife). I my younger days I enjoyed the challenge and was an accomplished rock hopper. Not so anymore. I ride now instead of walk when I play golf. It seams only appropriate that I start to "Ride" more when I fish. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:26 PM

You should buy a boat then. Teach a friend how to row so you can enjoy it too. But there's still a lot of fishing you can do alone.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:15 PM

I had a similar thing happen to me. I quess I was alittle too excited to get to the river and I got a speeding ticket. It was ok though because I was going fishing. When I arrived at the river they were generating. So not only could I not fish, but I got the ticket.