Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Cool Sunny Days

Looks like we'll have one of those beautiful, crispy, cool, autumn weekends in the Smokies; beautiful place, beautiful weather but it's been my experience<------------and let's really emphasize MY EXPERIENCE> that the trout absolutley quit biting on those bright sunny autumn days. *

Is there anything to this?

It seems not to matter if i cast to a shady over-hang or an open sunny spot in the middle of a run; the only common element is that the fish aren't biting.

Am I alone here?

Without getting into moon phases and barometric pressure, I've thought my lack of success on sunny days might have more to do with degraded stealthiness, (i.e. clear water, lots of sunlight, reflections, and moving shadows) yet I'm aware of the need for stealth and try to avoid wading, always casting upstream first, wear earth tones etc. or maybe I'm just always where the fish ain't.

It's ironic that I assume the fishing is always worst when the weather is at it's best. I never used to look forward to a cloudy rainy weekend until I found Fly Fishing.

[smiley=undecided.gif]
Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Cool Sunny Days

Hey Rainshaker,

I have never found this to be the case unless the water temps are substandard and the fish are lethargic.

Many times you can find some great bookie action on those sunny spots. * In general ,I haven't found the sun a big problem for me. *Usually I will give the day some time to progess and as the water starts to wam the fish "turn on". *I would carry a thermometer with me and test the water. *

Hope this helps * * DryFly1

* Like you, I love a good cloudy,rainy day!!!

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 PM

I fished in the park last Sat and Tues. Both days were warm, sunny, and beautiful. I caught the heck outta some fish.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM

That's really a good idea...Wow! how far technology has come. Thermometers; what a great advance in technology. Besides the obvious benefit, I've been searching for another object to hang from my vest...

Thanks again
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM

Doghair,

What was your most popular fly when you caught all those fish last week?

Thanks in advance,

8-)
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM

hey I did an science experiment a year ago for the science fair and did the acidicness in streams. I found out some parts of the Smokys the streams are so acidic the fish are sickly like and that is not good for fishermen. That could be your problem! Also I got 2nd place in the fair.

Giantfish
Old 11-02-2006, 01:44 PM

Sat I fished exclusively with a #16 BHPT about 14" below a strike indicator. Got the grand salami on only my 3rd time fishing in the park.

On Tues I dropped a small copper john behind a large yellow stim. The fish destroyed the dry fly. Those small stream fish were starving. I feel pretty confident that, with a decent presentation, they would have taken about anything I'd have thrown.

I really dont think you can go wrong with any of the patterns suggested by LRO.

Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:11 PM

What you may be experiencing is cold weather before the sunny day, that has cooled the water temps down a lot. *For example, tonight adn tomorrow night it is supposed to get well below freezing and it isn't going to get above 50 for the high. *This will make the water temps cooler and it will take the fish a few days to adjust to it. *Then next week it is supposed to get a little warmer agian, but it will still take the fish a few days to acclimate to the new, warmer water temps. MY GUESS is that fishing tomorrow and maybe even Saturday will be slow at best even in the afternoon on a sunny spot. *Ofcorse you never know unless you try
Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 PM

I echo the comments and setup of DHC. I can fish a nymph (virtually any) with a strike indicator or drop it behind a yellow or orange dry and catch fish steady in most conditions. I also agree with Russ. Big changes slow things down for a day or two until the fish adjust. I love it when the sun comes out, just my opinion, but the dry action seems to heat up when the sun comes out.

Thank goodness I love my job, cause if I didn't I'd quit and fish everyday! Good Luck!

Kevin