Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Soho 11-05-2006

I've been reading all the post on hatches and high water. It is all very interesting, the thoughts on what may cause this and that. I've gotten into this conversation with some of the guys I fish with several times. I was fortunate enough to discover the Clinch in the early nineties, several years before the trophy regulations were taken off the stream. The sulphur hatch here was fantastic. Big fish,making the most audible `gulp`, I've ever heard. Great dry fly fishing. Sadly, as time went by after the reg's were taken off, you could slowly see the decline in quality fish. Way too many people dragging stringers around. Some years after that, I remember the high water. One of the guys I know said, "look at the bottom of the river, then look up in the branches of the trees." What he was trying to say was that the grass that was on the bottom, was now in the tree branches after all the high water. I remember how many mayfly nymphs were in a fistful of grass, along with scuds and sowbugs, midge larva,etc. It was a while before I could accept that the quality of the river had really diminished, at least for the fly fisherman. I'm sure there are still some good ones in there. This past summer, I made the trip up to see how the fishing was. Caught numerous smaller fish on nymphs that day. What I remember most is that there seemed to be a dead looking slime across a lot of the river bottom, something I really did not remember seeing before. Saw one sulphur the entire day, in early June. As far as the regs, I was told that they were removed due to some landowner confrontations??.......that thishad been a very devisive decision to put the regs in to begin with. I know its a shame, a western quality fishery is a mere shadow of its self.
I'm amazed by the reports of the sulphurs going way into fall, heavy hatch or not. I've picked the last week of May next year as a vacation week. I hope that if I get to head up to the SoHo, I won't be too early for the main hatch.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:19 PM

mstone,

You're right on with your statements about the Clinch. "A mere shadow of itself". That's the 100% truth right there. I think its a combination of the regs, the capacity study, D. Geminata, and the flooding. Mother nature has a way of repairing herself so lets hope the Clinch returns to it's former glory.

May is a little early for the sulfurs up on the SoHo but you'll probably get to fish a small hatch of them. The thickest hatch occurs the last few weeks of June thru the first two weeks of July. Give or take a week or so. If TVA is generating during this time (with normal rainfall they probably will be) do yourself a favor and find a boat ride. You'll thank me later.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If TVA is generating during this time (with normal rainfall they probably will be) do yourself a favor and find a boat ride.
RFowler, is the SoHo a river that you could float in a canoe or would it be too rough? I'm probably going up for my first trip there (wading) over one of the upcoming holidays but your mention of the excellent summer fishing on high water has me thinking of the possiblities for next year.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 PM

RFowler,

Never heard of D.Geminata.....what exactly is that?

mstone
Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 PM

Hey Plat Angler,
We made another trip back to the Soho today, hooked up on some good fish, a little slow. Non the less we hooked up on some fish, the largest being around 15" or so. *In reference to your canoe question I think it's definately possible to float the Soho in a canoe while generating. *We started out about a half a mile from the wiers and fished until the generator kicked in. *The water comes up pretty fast just down from the dam to where we were! *We were actually in the process of taking a picture of a brown when the water started rising. *We packed up and headed downstream about 2 to 3 miles to the road section to get some more fishing in. *We stayed there for another hour or so and the generated water finally hit. *We actually talked about how the water seemed to slow down quite tremendously at the road section. *However that being said, on the trip to the wier before fishing the same section of water (the road section) seemed to be moving pretty swiftly. *We weren't sure if they were pulsing the water in the afternoon and in the morning when we arrived they had run a full generator. *We have made it up there 2 times so I'm not 100% sure but it certainly looked like a devoted fly fisher with his trusty canoe could do pretty well! *I'd definately check with the other guys to make sure, but I do know one thing for sure, it's absolutely a great trout fishery and gorgeous scenery. *We learned alot more about the tailwater today and some other good sections to fish. *I wish we would have had a little extra time to spend exploring today, but we learn as we go....Definately makes things a little more interesting!

Good luck and plan a trip soon! *Hope to catch you around!

Hugh and Russ thanks for the help from My dad and I!
Fishermansfly
~Brett

Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 AM

mstone, Do a search on D. Geminata (or didymo) on google. We first started noticing didymo on the South Holston in 2004, about the same time they noticed the stuff in New Zealand. There are several theories out but no one seems to know the real story, yet. It is a natural occuring algae in high elevation streams according to some info I've read. I first started noticing it on the Clinch in the spring of 2005. It's effecting the Watauga as well. The biggest concern with this stuff seems to be that it takes over, snuffing out native aquatic plants and algaes. Thus, taking away food for aquatic insects. I didn't get the chance to fish the true sulfur hatch on the South Holton this year but from what I've been told, it was down. It could most definitely be a result of the didymo. Too early to tell, really. But, the Kiwi's are taking it very serious and are combating the problem with a copper substance. They plan to treat a tributary to an infected river very soon.

PA, I personally don't recommend floating the SH in a canoe unless you have someone to help you row. And then, both people should be very good boaters. There are two rapids that can swamp, or roll, a canoe. One is directly below Hickory Tree bridge and the other is between Hickory Tree and Big Springs road. Also, to effectively fish the sulfur hatch you need to be able to anchor your boat. The thickest hatches are on the upper river above HT bridge. If you can't anchor you'll float through it too fast.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:11 PM

My Autumn copy of "FlyFisher Magazine" just arrived. There is a four page article about didymo.
This is scary. It is serious. According to the article an angler should clean all gear after fishing in a stream known to have didymo using a 2% bleach solution or a 5% salt solution or dishwashing detergent for at least one minute. I've been hearing about the bloom on the Clinch. It's going to be up to us to keep it from spreading.

Byron