Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Default best stream in smokies

my nephew asked--what.'s the best stream in the park for fishing---catching fish etc--after a little thought,i answered --little river---what do you think?I never know what to say when asked--this question--catching fish in the smokies,is not too hard---think you have to get aquainted with the park--and feel comfortable,find your cast--try different fly's
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: best stream in smokies

Whichever one I happen to be fishing! I don't think there is any one stream that is the best. As I said in another thread, each stream is unique and special in its own way. That is what I like about the park, there is something to suit almost any mood I'm in. Some streams may fish better under certain conditions than others, but that is what makes this sport fun, learning a piece of water until you know every single spot and where the fish will be at different times of the year...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM

Making an assumption (always dangerous) that your nephew is not very familiar with the smokies or mountain fishing I would recomend Tremont. Easy to get to, not extremely dangerous, and when you find a spot that has not been pressured, it can produce several fish, even for a beginner. When I take friends that are unfamiliar that's where I take them.

I whole heartedly agree with PA on the variety and value of each stream, I certainly look forward to exploring for many years!

Kevin
Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Read the topic Best river outside of Smokys, Gatlinburg. It is great for me and I'm 14 and new to fly fishing and it's easy too. Read it. It's towreds the bottom.

Giantfish
Old 11-07-2006, 06:42 AM

There's not really a best stream. You can catch plenty of nice fish on any of them. Over time, i'm sure you would form a favorite stream where you always seem to have better luck, but there all good and offer something for everyone.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM

lauxier,

The best stream in the smokies is the one I'm standing in today!

So many streams- so little time....

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 AM

The best stream in the Smokies is definately the one you get to stand in and fish 'cause you ain't working .... I'd say the designation of the "best" water would change depending in that what would be your best bet depending on the time of year and whats hatchn'...or whats going on with that particular water (water levels, temps, tourist hatches )...and then if you have a favorite stretch, it doesn't matter if its the best or not, its your "home"waters and habits are hard to break...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 PM

In my opinion, Little River is the "Best" all around fishing stream in the Smokies.
The ease of access to anyone to most of the river and with an estimated 3000 fish per mile. The ability to fish for wild native brook trout in the higher reaches and large rainbows and trophy brown trout and the occasional smallmouth make this a treasure seldom found elsewhere. Trout Unlimited designated it as a top 100 trout stream in North America. Sure it receives a lot of pressure but it consistantly produces good fishing yearound. Although, I have not fished it yet, Hazel Creek in North Carolina has a good reputation with some of my fishing friends. Limited access keeps it producing good fish year after year. The "Best" stream can be debated forever. I will enjoy my constant search for it.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 PM

Agree, the debate would last forever. But for a first timer the Little River above the "Sinks" cant be beat. There are also some spots on Abrams that are not to technical.