Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM

Default New Rod?

Hey good people,

I am starting to look for a backpacking rod. I'm looking for at least a 5 piece thats probably going to be a 3 or 4 wt. I prefer my rods a bit on the slower side. Any thoughts?

Dude
Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Re: New Rod?

have you thought about putting your own rod together.....I am going to try one and I found a website that provides everything in a kit ready for assembly. I know it won't be just that easy, but it sure sounds like a good investment of time, and just think of the first fish *you catch on the rod you built.....just an idea.... if you are wanting the challenge....

Good Fishing &
God Bless

Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 08-24-2006, 01:27 PM

There is a guy on Southeast fly fishers forum with a 7' 4pc. Orvis superfine "troutbum" for sale:
http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....348#post124348

It don't get much better than that for a slow action graphite pack rod for the mountains!

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 08-26-2006, 07:35 AM

I have an Orvis Trout Bum. I love it! I oufitted it with a Battenkill Bar Stock reel. I would reccommend it without hesitation. It is a 4-pc. 4WT, but it is only 7' long so the pcs. are really short. As a matter of fact, I carry it in an Orvis reel-on case that is made for a 7-pc. and it fits perfectly.

Jim Markland
Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 PM

TFO Finesse series may work for you. I tried one out at LRO and it is definitely slower. I ended up with the pro series because it's a little quicker. It never hurts to go up there and throw one. Heck, Daniel may even clue you in to some good spots. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 AM

my favorite rod has always been my winston lt 5 piece 4wt. i prefer a slower action and it can delicately cast midges as well as small streamers. i have an old T and T 2 wt for the small streams but find i use the winston for all my SMNP fishing and tailwater fishing in TN currently

i have packed it in the park many a time
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 PM

I just bought an Echo 1, 7'6 in 3 wt. It's a 4 piece and is a little slower that the TFO in my opinion. It's light, good looking, has a good warranty and at only $140 or so I think it's a steal. I casted some Winstons and Sages at the store and think that it feels every bit as good for $100's less. To complete the high performing outfit for less than my next mortgage I fitted a Martin Mohawk River reel for a total weight of less than 7 ounces (at right around $200)

David
Old 11-16-2006, 06:12 PM

LRO used to sell and may still carry the Cortland CL 6 piece travel/pack rods. They were a nice small and fairly inexpensive pack rod. They make a 7'6" 3/4wt at $170. I used to own an 8' 4wt 4 piece and would consider it a med. action rod. I like to carry an extra pack rod with me when hiking into backcountry streams in case I fall and break a tip. This has happened before and I had to hike back out to my vehicle. There are lots of excellent pack rods out there to choose from whatever your budget. I would cast several different ones before deciding.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM

I have both the TFO and Trout Bum. The TFO is half the price and you dont have to twist my arm for me to say the Finesses Seris,, is for me a better feeling rod. There are some good ones out there.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:59 PM

I would also vote for the Orvis Trout Bum. I own one and absolutely LOVE fishing it in the Smokies. I have it equipped with my Orvis CFO and think it is the best mountain stream combo. Have an Orvis BBS II on the way that I can't wait to try with it. You won't go wrong with the Trout Bum. Great rod!