Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Fly rods to kill for--made for the Smokies

Fishing GSMNP is at the least difficult and frustrating.Generally you live or die on your ability to roll cast.Small delicate rods seem bestI have owned at least 100 fly rods in the last 30 years.Some were bad,most were ok,but my Winston LT5's are the best I have every used.I own a 3wt 6'9' that seems made specifically for Smokies fishing.It is light,and casts like a dream.I have a 4wt 7'9" that handles good in the park's streams,it is probably best over all.I used it in Wyoming on Pacific Creek,last September,and caught several nice rainbows,one was 19" long.It was great fun.These rods are a pleasure to put together,thay have a sensitive tip that has action unlike any I have found.
They are expensive,but are guaranteed for life.You will come to covet these rods.These rods are made in Montana,in the USA.They are expensive,but I think the cost is in line with the quality of the rod.Winston's Boron rods are some really "fab" fast action rods.I have a 5wt 9',that worked well fishing Abrams Creek.I should add thay are expensive--well over $600.00--making them expensive.I suggest putting your pennies away to own one of these rods.Don't take my word for it--ask Paula--LRO is a dealer for Winston rods--Winston's are made in a tiny factory in Three Bridges Montana--They are at times hard to get,or they used to be hard to get.
There are many good rods out there,some are made in China(The cheaper Winston model((Can't think of its name)) is made in China,it is not a real Winston and feels like a club)others are made in Korea,Japan etc.Please buy American--Please buy from locally owned fly shops like LRO,not because they need the business,but because of credibility,honesty and services.Used to be,a rod to be taken seriously had to be made in the USA.By the way,have felt 2 really nice rods a friend showed the other day'he could not decide which one he wanted so he bought them both. Rod 1 was a Sage 7'4wt,can't rememberwhat it was called,but it was a blondish-green rod,a new model,that was ultra light and felt like a dream.Rod 2--Was a ultralight 3wt 7' Murray Mountain Rod made in Colorado by --sorry can't think of their name.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Fly rods to kill for--made for the Smokies

Scott fly rod co. makes the Murray Mountain Special,they are in Colorado.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:00 PM

I used to be peculiar about rods, owning high end Orvis, Winston, Sott , Powells & bamboo. As i was looking for a 9 weight rod last year, a foreign made rod shamed 2 $600 American made rods, guess which one i bought

Grumpy
Old 07-13-2006, 03:33 PM

I want to cast (no pun intended) a vote for my Sage 7'11'' LL 4wt. Sage dropped the Light Line model from their line up a few years ago but I thought it was the perfect GSMNP rod.I have been fishing it for 10 years and it's just as good as the day I got it. The fish can't tell it's old technology.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM

It may not be as fancy as a Sage or Winston, but my vote for the perfect Smokies rod goes to my 7'9" St. Croix Legend Ultra. It is the older three piece version, but is unbeatable in my estimation. The only exception being if or when it's line becomes tangled in brush and if the tip snaps off as it did on my most recent trip to the park. Of course that isn't the rods fault but it was under warrentee and has already been returned to me after having been repaired!

MIke
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 07-14-2006, 09:21 PM

I view rods the same way that I do any piece of equipment.
No matter how little or how much it cost, its gotta feel and work right .
My go to rod is a Cortland combo that I got on closeout a few years ago.
I never go on a trip without it.
Meanwhile the $600 Loomis along with my other 5 rods gather dust at home.

* * This spring I built a matching set of 4wt rods for the wife and son.
By sheer luck both turned out *excellent .
The balance is perfect and they both perform very well.
Ive got about $350 in the set including a set of Orvis reels.

I just wish they would let me borrow one of them sometime.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:09 AM

To each his own, but I usually don't use anything shorter than my Sage Light Line 8'9" 3 wt. The only time I use a smaller rod would be on a stream as tight as Collins Creek, for instance. Other than that I like to be able to reach WAY OUT. I haven't been able to find a medium action 4 piece 9 foot 3 weight or I would buy it. If Scott would make a 9' 3 wt., 4 piece G or G2 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-17-2006, 11:12 AM

You're like me, Chris. I use long rods on all but the tightest of little trickles. I use a 10ft Winston IM6 4wt a lot and love it.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Highstickers!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Those old timers aint fools.