Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Fly Differ

I got a question I don't know the difference between a dry fly and the other kind. I hear alot of dry fly and I can't tell the difference, You know a wooly buger and a nymph. I would like to know the difference since I'm going to start tying soon. Also why do you have to use them a different way in the water. I'm lost. So.................. uh I guess thats all I need to know for now. Thanks.

Giantfish
Old 11-08-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Fly Differ

Flies can be divided into all kinds of categories dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, streamers, emergers, etc. Dry flies are normally tied with hackle that has stiff barbules, and are designed to be fished on the surface. Wet flies are designed to be fished beneath the surface. Wet flies normally have soft hackle with swept back wings or can be wingless. Nymphs are also subsurface flies that are tied without using any hackle and streamers are subsurface flies designed to imitate a baitfish. A wooly bugger is a crossover fly because it can be fished on a dead drift like a nymph or cast and retrieved or swung like a streamer.
You don't really need to use each one in a different way. You do what works best for you. The primary ways to cast in a stream are up and across and let the fly drift towards in a natural manner (dead drift), straight across and stripped in, or down and across and allow the current to swing the fly (at times this method can be deadly).
The nice thing about flyfishing is that there are no real hard and fast rules. Read some books or watch a few videos on the sport and then try it 'til reach the point where you feel comfortable with your fishing ability. Then you can experiment and come with your own style. What you need to do is go out fishing and try all these methods out.
Another thing I should mention when you're just starting out try and find a mentor (a more experienced fishing buddy) to learn from. He'll probably learn from you.
Good luck and don't be intmidated