Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-09-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Lousy???

Just kidding Byron. I got an early start this morning and went up high on Lynn Camp. Yea, It was blown out, but I was determined. I ended up catching 17 Bows. Most were in the 8" range, which is pretty big up there. I hammered every spot that was fishable. Most were caught on a prince nymph, but I think six were on the dry (Orange Stim). Pretty cool to do well and come and see that the report said lousy. Everybody tells me I'm lucky, I guess today proves it! :P

Kevin
Old 11-09-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Lousy???

Thats not bad at all! Glad to hear you did well. Did you see anyone else out on the water today?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 PM

Met a couple guys from NC on the way in. I gave them a few tips, but these guys were pretty good anyhow. They ended up catching a few as we leap frogged eachother. I ran into two more guys on the way out, but I seriously doubt either caught any fish. I told both of them that they needed to hike at least another hour, and I told them exactly where I stopped fishing and told them they should start there. Like I said, I punished everything that was fishable. Anyhow, they looked at me like I was crazy and I anticipate they dropped in too soon.

Are you still planning on fishing #18 this weekend?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:43 PM

I'm still not completely sure. I was wanting to head over to NC to fish Raven or Straight Fork until I saw on another forum that a group was going to be camping over there. I'm sure some of those guys will be fishing that area. I'll probably just fish up around # 18, or I might go over and fish the West Prong of the Pigeon. I've never fished either of them, and they are both fairly close. Hopefully the rain won't be too bad.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM

Word is, that West Prong of Little Pigeon got it bad. The water will need to drop pretty quick, for it to be OK even by Saturday. #18 could be bad too. Not to mention more rain on the way Saturday. NC didn't get as much rain as we did, so that side should be much better. I've not fished #18 and want to go soon. If we catch another break in the weather send me a PM and maybe we can meet up.

Good luck this weekend, I want to fish Saturday, but can't figure out how to beat the high water / rain ordeal. NC is a bit of a haul from Maryville, so I'm kinda leaning away from that too. Not sure what to do. :-/ Any advice?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 AM

Hmm....

That makes driving over the hill a little more tempting, I guess. I'll just plan on heading out real early and see how things look. Maybe go up high and check-out some of the smaller streams. I'll just see where that takes me. It's one of the few days that I'm not busy with some sort of shenanigans...so I have to go somewhere.

Maybe the Clinch...?

NAH!

I drive through Maryville almost every time I head to the park. We should head out sometime.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 AM

I'm probably going to fish Lynn Camp or #18 early Saturday. I'll stop and check the water level gauge and make the call. If the water is still around 3 feet I'll pass on #18. 2.7 or lower and I think it would be worth trying. If you decide to stay on this side let me know (PM) and we can meet up.

Kevin
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM

You guys are much more brave than I. I was at one time considered crazy for wading in high water. I guess coming up on age 40 and the facth that I learned my lesson three years ago in Greenbrier when I got hurt pretty bad (cracked rib). I have a tremendous respect for this mountain streams and I don't want to sound like I am telling you all what to do. Do remember that this is dangerous conditions and I can't even imagine fishing West Prong of Little Pigeon right now. The only fishable water in my opinion this weekend would be above an elevation of 3500 ft in order to be above the massive flow of water. Just my 02 cents.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 PM

I 100% respect your opinion Hans. When I fished Thursday I rarely stepped into the water. I stood on rocks or only got into the ankle deep stuff. I'm going back to Lynn Camp in the morning, come heck or high water . I'll be safe though, because I'm really looking forward to fishing with you again next spring!

Kevin
Old 11-11-2006, 02:34 AM

Looks like it's going to be raining all day tomorrow. As much as I want to venture out, I'll just be hanging around the house. I guess I'll go rent a fly fishing video or something. I've heard good things about a video called "trout bum diaries", or maybe I'll finish some of those Gierach books I picked up at the library this week.

Sunday's probably going to be a wash too. What's up with all this rain we've been getting?

Kevin, I suppose you're still heading out? Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck!