Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Default The Art of  FF

Is there really an art to FF, I here non FF people say there is an art to it. to me its just move your rod and catch a fish. would you call it an art or talent? Or is it just fishing without a spin rod. I would like to tell the people that ask, if its an art and only talented can do it and that you have to practice like you would a piano, what it really is. I don't know what to tel them. I'm new to it but I wouldn't call it an art, but what about you guys? Thanks.

Giantfish
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: The Art of  FF

It may be that the movements of the fly rod, while casting, and mending, remind some of an artist with a paint brush. To me, there are very subtle movements made sometimes with the flyrod that will determine what I'm trying to do, in reguards to a particular cast, putting a mend in the line before it falls, piling the leader up in a downstream cast , etc. While throwing popping bugs this summer for smallmouth, I noticed a man watching a friend and I from his dock and as we approached he made the comment that it was just beautiful to watch the casting of the line. Art.....I'm not sure.The act of flyfishing is indeed a very pleasing and unique approach to sport fishing.

mstone
Old 11-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: The Art of *FF

giantfish,

I remember on another post that you went FF and didn't catch anything. - Move your rod and catch a fish??

To look like a fly fisherman is not to be one. The mechanics can be learned quickly, but the skill takes time to develop. Fly fishing is an art that takes practice, practice and more practice.

The fly fisherman who knows how to use his fly rod understands the art of fly fishing. Like any artist the joy is often more in the practice of the craft than the end results. -from the art of FF...

Giantfish you are a FF artist- Practice until you believe it...

*Just when you think you've got it right, some old timer will show you how much you don't know. That's part of the appeal of fly fishing, there's always something more to learn and new waters to fish.

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 PM

Giantfish, *I have a 13 yr old son (Pict. on photo board). He has been learning to FF this past year. I tell him that to consistantly catch fish on a fly rod in any type of water, it is a skill that takes patience, time, and a willingness to gain knowledge most other types of fishing do not require. Putting worms or corn on a hook or tossing a plastic lure with built-in action is easy. Learning about the aquatic enviroment and some skills involved in flyfishing, not only will make you a better angler, but a good steward of the enviroment. I believe FF is an Art. I draw and paint also and feel there are some similarities.
In an age where everything is fast paced and high tech, FF is still much the same as it started. I hope it remains that way for my son and for you.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 PM

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.it dosent matter to me what i look like to others when i`m fishing just the satisfaction and the peace i have with myself and my surroundings.that is beauty and someone else may not see it but i see it and it looks like a piece of art.the art is what you create and how you feel about it.this may not make sense but alot of things i try to say dont make much sense either
dalefish
Old 11-06-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Re: The Art of  FF

Great question, Giantfish!

I think it's an art in terms of technique. With that said, ANY kind of fishing can be an art for that reason. I prefer a flyrod to other ways because it's the most interesting. There are lots of differnent applications in flyrodding. Many people limit themselves to just a few of them when they could be taking advantage of them all. Or atleast pursuing them. Example: just fishing dries.

The art lies in the style you develope, not the delivery method.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 PM

You guys are right, I told that person what you said and guess what? They want to fly fish now. I got a neww man fishin. Thanks it was a weird question. Also look at the pic board I'm under TN rivers' Caney fork, fist fly trip. Take a look.

Giantfish
Old 11-12-2006, 08:53 PM

I think it is an art. Especailly when you can outfish the guys with corn and spinners. I love that feeling. I go fly fishing not to catch fish, but to be outside and not in front of the tv. Catching fish is a bonus for me. I like that you dont try to catch a fish with scent or some flash and rattle, but with a replica of what they are eating. It is so much more rewarding to me to catch a fish on a fly.